2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

How can I make my tranny last longer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2011, 10:28 PM
FireDodge
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How can I make my tranny last longer?

So I have my stock tranny still, and am not looking to get a new one until this one breaks, but I don't want it to, haha. So what can I do to help it? The previous owner said he had the tranny looked over by a certified tranny shop but didn't say what, if anything, they fixed.

I currently have 35's with 3.55's. I've heard some people say that new gears will help, and I've heard some say they won't.

Any advice will be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 03-25-2011, 10:40 PM
atthewmartin114
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tranny flushes then called for in the book tranny filter and gasket services when called for. dont me shifting threw the gears well under high RPM. also dodge for some stupid reason made the trannys so they dont pump tranny fluid in park. so extended ideling causes the tranny to get hot and start to burn the fluid inside the tranny because its not being cooled by the fluid so just shut the truck off dont let it idle in park more then 10 minutes or so and you should be just fine. only other possibility is to change the tranny lines to one solid size line.

Old 03-25-2011, 11:25 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Never Flush your trans. If it hasn't had it REGULARLY before, a flush is a bad plan. Just change the fluid and filter, and adjust the bands at the correct intervals.

If you don't have an auxiliary cooler, get one.

Delete the check valve in the cooler line running to the bottom of the radiator.

While you have the line apart, install a remote filter. (such as you see for engine oil)

Lower gears will indeed help your tranny live longer. It won't be working as hard to get those meats, and the heavy truck..... rolling. With 35's, 4.56 gears will keep rpm close to what is was with stock size tires. You will actually get better gas mileage too.......

Old 03-25-2011, 11:32 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

do-
trans cooler, remote filter, remove check valve, drain plug, annual trans fluid changes (start with 2, 1-2 weeks apart), use ATF+4 only, replace governor pressure sensor and solenoid if you have a shifting problem. use superchips tune or updated pcm flash that moves OD shift out from 45 mph to about 53 mph.

don't-
neutral drops, tow with overdrive on, use any additives, adjust the bands unless you know what you're doing and have the right tools.

cooler pictures....
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ter-added.html

Old 03-25-2011, 11:40 PM
JSTMoto
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gears WILL help prolong the life of your transmission. They simply make your truck easier to move. Expect lower gas milage, and higher RPMs. Also, they are pricey and if you have 4x4, you MUST do the front axle also. But, with 3.55s and 35s, you're not doing your trans any favors.

Keep your trans fluid cool. Get a quality aux cooler installed. A deep trans pan to hold more fluid is also a good idea.

Ditch the stock check ball in the stock cooling lines (write-ups available). This will require you to let your truck sit in neutral for a little bit before you take off in the mornings.

Use ONLY ATF +4 fluid.

DO NOT flush these transmissions!! A simple tranny pan drop and fill + filter change is what is recommended most.

Get the bands adjusted by someone who knows how to do it. In other words, not a shade tree mechanic.

atthewmartin bring up a good point as well. If sitting idle for a while, consider engaging the parking brake (if terrain allows) and putting the transmission in neutral.

And lastly, don't do dumb chit. This means: NO burnouts! NO neutral drops! NO red light racing!

-JT

Old 03-25-2011, 11:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Actually, he will indeed get better mileage with lower gears. The engine won't have to work as hard to get the truck rolling, and it will be operating in its designed range when just cruising down the road. Not to mention there will be significantly less gear-hunting going on.......

Worst case scenario, he will get the same as he does now....... (provided his driving style stays the same.......)

Old 03-26-2011, 01:50 AM
thetypezero
Rookie

+ 1 on the tranny cooler. Should be able to pick one up at any parts store If you don't want to hassle with ordering one online, And get a deeper tranny pan. Not sure if I'll get flamed for this. But I use B&M Trickshift ATF tranny fluid with this setup.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:08 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thetypezero
Not sure if I'll get flamed for this. But I use B&M Trickshift ATF tranny fluid with this setup.

Old 03-27-2011, 02:57 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Actually, he will indeed get better mileage with lower gears. The engine won't have to work as hard to get the truck rolling, and it will be operating in its designed range when just cruising down the road. Not to mention there will be significantly less gear-hunting going on.......

Worst case scenario, he will get the same as he does now....... (provided his driving style stays the same.......)
True, but I think it's best to always expect a mileage loss when lowering gears. So if you end up gaining a mpg or two, it'll help pay for a new blanket and pillow for the couch, because the lady is going to want to know why you just had to lay down a lump of bills to get 2 pairs of gears when the truck was working perfectly fine the way it was.

-JT

Old 03-27-2011, 10:42 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by JSTMoto
True, but I think it's best to always expect a mileage loss when lowering gears. So if you end up gaining a mpg or two, it'll help pay for a new blanket and pillow for the couch, because the lady is going to want to know why you just had to lay down a lump of bills to get 2 pairs of gears when the truck was working perfectly fine the way it was.

-JT
LOLLOLOL

Ever the optimist?

Thanks for the giggle to start my day.

Quick Reply: How can I make my tranny last longer?