2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Backpressure?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 10:26 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Backpressure?

i never have understood the concept of it, and what exactly it is and means, someone please do tell, and also, my exhaust is dumped like a foot or 2 behind the cat, so would i gain a little low end torque if i went all the way to the back or what? and also, a gutted cat/no cat matter for the low end torque?

Old 03-27-2011, 10:34 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,395 Likes on 3,135 Posts

Its all about flow. Backpressure is basically just the resistance to flow..... clogged cat, too small pipes, etc, will increase backpressure. Of course, going to large isn't any better.... then you get the exhaust gases cooling quickly, and you end up with crappy flow anyway.

Really, the most important part of your exhaust, is the manifolds/headers, and the Y-pipe, (if used...) and collector length. After that, its just having the correct pipe size for your application.

For our trucks, full-length headers, with 1.5, or 1 5/8ths primaries, and a 2.5 or 3 inch collector would be perfect. Couple that with either true duals, or, an H or X pipe, and 2.25-2.5 inch pipe to the back/sides/whatever, and you would have an exhaust that was great for low end grunt.

Trouble is, finding the stuff to do that is not exactly easy, nor is it anything even remotely resembling cheap......

I think the pacesetter headers are 1 3/4? or some such? Which is really too big, but, still FAR better than the stock manifolds.....

Some other manufacturers make headers like I suggested, but, they run 500 to 1000 bucks...... Ouch.

Backpressure is bad. The harder your engine has to work to get stuff in/out, the less power it has to do other stuff, like, move the truck.

Old 03-27-2011, 10:45 PM
rl99dram
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im lookin at gettin the pacesetter long tubes and that is the correct dia. you stated... I want those goin into an X pipe with the Aero Turbine 3030XL and 90's infront of my two back tires... a stretch I know

Old 03-28-2011, 12:59 AM
ryan0714
Record Breaker

i was thinkin, pacesetter headers, and not sure yet on a h or x, and then still use the cherry bomb extreme i have, and then take it all the way out the back, using 2.5" pipe? or is 2.25" better?

Old 03-28-2011, 11:51 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you go with a crossover, and single pipe, go with 2.5, if you go with duals, use the 2.25

Old 03-28-2011, 12:04 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker

alright man i understand the concept of backpressure now, so you want just enough so that it can still flow good, but not too much or it will be hard for ur engine to exhale i got it.

so you think i would gain anything going from dumped to duals out the back?

Old 03-28-2011, 01:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

In the stock exhaust system, after the manifolds..... the y-pipe is the biggest restriction. Even going to shortys, and an aftermarket Y would net you some noticeable gains. Changing anything else, but, leaving those stock pieces in there really won't help much. Just doing the Y-pipe would be an improvement though....

Keep in mind, the 'off-road' Y pipe you can get from jegs, or summit, replaces the cat as well, with a straight pipe. If emissions laws wherever you happen to be require and inspection, you will fail. Putting an aftermarket cat in there is easy though.

If you replace your entire exhaust, (using long tubes) placement of the pre-cat O2 is critical. Run both pipes down the passenger side, with a short x, or h pipe between them, and put the pre-cat O2 there. Post-cat isn't quite so finicky.

Old 03-28-2011, 04:19 PM
EndIsNear
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HeyYou
In the stock exhaust system, after the manifolds..... the y-pipe is the biggest restriction. Even going to shortys, and an aftermarket Y would net you some noticeable gains. Changing anything else, but, leaving those stock pieces in there really won't help much. Just doing the Y-pipe would be an improvement though....

Keep in mind, the 'off-road' Y pipe you can get from jegs, or summit, replaces the cat as well, with a straight pipe. If emissions laws wherever you happen to be require and inspection, you will fail. Putting an aftermarket cat in there is easy though.

If you replace your entire exhaust, (using long tubes) placement of the pre-cat O2 is critical. Run both pipes down the passenger side, with a short x, or h pipe between them, and put the pre-cat O2 there. Post-cat isn't quite so finicky.
I know this is kind of off-topic, but will the offroad Y-pipe fit a 2WD? I have no idea if the pipes are ran the same...

Old 03-28-2011, 04:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

The jegs unit indicates that it will fit two, or four wheel drives.

Old 03-28-2011, 06:40 PM
rl99dram
Professional

Long tubes to the X pipe with two aero turbine 3030XLs... Cats, not sure yet.

Quick Reply: Backpressure?