2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Help!! transmission or transfer case or other problem???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2011, 10:26 PM
97ram318
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Help!! transmission or transfer case or other problem???

Ok..here is the deal..I had a problem with my transmission. When put into any gear it wouldn't move but yet the rpms would increase as the throttle was pressed....so to deal with the problem I was told to replace the governor pressure and transducer which I did and while I was at it I did a complete rebuild. Just to make sure...put the transmission back in with the correct fluid level..started it up and when put into gear it did the same thing..it just reved up and didn't go anywhere ..not even reverse. So could this be a transfer case issue instead ? Any ideas will help me at this point. Not sure if this is normal but is it normal to be able to shift through all gears without having to step on brake? ? If not then that may be an area to look into ....any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 04-01-2011, 10:57 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You sure the transfer case is not in neutral.

Old 04-02-2011, 01:27 AM
TryMeImHard
Professional

Did you check the linkage??? i know on mine i have to keep it right above drive almost neutral to be in drive try shifting thru all gears and see if you can feel it shift

Old 04-02-2011, 05:39 PM
97ram318

My fault guys..my truck isn't 4x4 so it doesn't have a transfer case..what I thought was the transfer case is actually the box on the rear axle .not real familiar with par names but think they call it a differential ...so i will start with checking linkages first as mentioned ..I'm hoping it isn't a rear end problem

Old 04-02-2011, 05:48 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You would see the driveshaft turning then. And add all the info about your truck to your sig. That will eliminate any future confusion and you won't have to type it in every time you have a question.

Old 04-02-2011, 06:38 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Torque converter or linkage. Put it in drive and try to push it forward, if it doesn't move, your linkage is off.

Old 04-03-2011, 01:54 PM
97ram318

Well I checked the linkage and its ok..wont start in any other gear but park and neutral which is good. Had a friend put it into drive while I checked under to make sure driveshaft was turning and it wasn't turning so does this mean its still a transmission issue?

Old 04-03-2011, 01:58 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 97ram318
Well I checked the linkage and its ok..wont start in any other gear but park and neutral which is good. Had a friend put it into drive while I checked under to make sure driveshaft was turning and it wasn't turning so does this mean its still a transmission issue?
Yes... though it surpasses my expertise; I'd say that you forgot something rather important during the rebuild, or your torque converter is toast.

Old 04-04-2011, 06:07 PM
97ram318

yeah im at a loss too..problem is i went by the book and rebuilt like it said..i even installed a new torque converter and solenoids..but i didn't replace or take apart the valve body. im thinking the valve body could have trash in it or the check ***** are jammed somehow..just for kicks i wanted to find out if the oil pump was working so i unhooked the return line and fluid was gushing out..so i at least know that fluid is flowing..i looked in the manual and it told me to do a pressure test at all the ports to determine if it is a hydraulic or mechanical issue. problem is i don't have the guages to do so. so would you recommend looking into the valve body issue or do a pressure test first?

Quick Reply: Help!! transmission or transfer case or other problem???