2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

auto to manual swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:53 AM
charles prince
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto to manual swap

hey guys, i have 2 dodge trucks... both are club cab longbeds... one is a 98 2500 12v 4x4 with an auto. this is my daily driver! the second is a 96 2500 12v 2wd with a 5 speed. this one is crashed and is my donor vehicle... i want to put the manual in my 98 4x4. ive been diong some reading and found there a few problems with the transfer case shafts, drive shafts, along with others... if you have any tips or advisce id really appreciate the help! thanx!

Old 04-04-2011, 10:48 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Not a direct swap. At least, not without changing internal parts in the trans. Not sure on spline counts, but, tailshaft housings are different between 2 and 4 wheel drives, as is output shaft length.

Another issue is going to be PCM programming..... if the PCM is expecting an auto trans, but, doesn't see behavior it expects from the drive line, when it tells the auto (that isn't there any more...) to do something, it will set a code. CEL will constantly be on. Need to reprogram the PCM for the manual. The 96 PCM won't work in the 98 truck. Too much changed.

Quick Reply: auto to manual swap