2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bed bolt issues..

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 12:31 AM
TryMeImHard
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bed bolt issues..

Alright well i have three bolts loose on my bed (last one to rear on DS and last 2 to rear on PS) I am tired of my truck sounding like a clunker when i hit a bump..
Well anyway i sprayed 'em down with CYCLO's BREAK-AWAY let sit for a few then went to tighten well i bent one when trying to move it so i didnt want to ruin other ones(I"ll use impact on others).

What would be my best bet.. Angle grinder on both sides and new hard ware??
Just kinda lookin for any other opinions..

Old 04-09-2011, 10:05 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,388 Likes on 3,128 Posts

Hit 'em with more chemicals. Try and break 'em loose, if they don't want to, more chemicals, and rap on the heads with a hammer.

Old 04-09-2011, 02:24 PM
alegar
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeap more monkey wiz and time. The last thing you want to deal with is a bunch of busted bolts. Try running them in and out a little at first to get them moving. Good advise would be to anti-seize them once you get them out that way when something goes out *fuel pump* a few years down the road you don't have to fight the same battle over.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:28 AM
TryMeImHard
Professional

Originally Posted by alegar
Yeap more monkey wiz and time. The last thing you want to deal with is a bunch of busted bolts. Try running them in and out a little at first to get them moving. Good advise would be to anti-seize them once you get them out that way when something goes out *fuel pump* a few years down the road you don't have to fight the same battle over.
that is the only reason i want to fix them i thought about just a little weld but then when pump goes out it would suck guess i will continue to soak it down

Old 04-10-2011, 10:37 AM
alegar
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can also try a little heat, a blue wrench might get them to loosen up a bit then the impact can do the rest. Just be careful not to melt the bolt, or yourself for that matter. wielding the bed would not be something I would recommend.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:48 PM
TryMeImHard
Professional

ha ha ha yeah i kno especially with my miles fuel pump shouldn't be too far away

Old 04-11-2011, 03:30 AM
J McWillis
Professional

Originally Posted by TryMeImHard
ha ha ha yeah i kno especially with my miles fuel pump shouldn't be too far away
At 222k? Nah! I just replaced my stock pump at 298k. The one in the other truck made it to 250k or so, I can't remember the exact. Just remember when you do change, go Delphi.

Quick Reply: Bed bolt issues..