2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Engine ticking? (video)

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 04:14 PM
TryMeImHard
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not really i have had it and just ran thicker oil or some type of thick additive depends on how long you plan on keepin truck

Old 04-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Seth_787446
Professional

Well I plan on keeping for a long while so I'm willing to try anything.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:18 PM
TryMeImHard
Professional

well try pinpointing the sound first

Old 04-10-2011, 04:19 PM
Seth_787446
Professional

Do you think it could be the fuel injectors though?

Old 04-10-2011, 05:16 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be very suprised if the injectors are making noise.

If you know you have an exhaust leak get it fixed before worrying about anything else. That sounds a lot like a small exhaust leak.

Next would be lifters. If they are ticking you can go in there and change them maybe when you do the plenum if you haven't done that already. Ticking lifters are very common on just about and push rod engine that has some miles on it. It is really nothing to worry about. It just bothers some people.

Old 04-10-2011, 05:26 PM
ryan0714
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounded like a lifter tickin to me. could just be out of adjustment. you can use a stethescope or whatever and try to pin point it to be under that valve cover. can be as simple as needing to be regapped and torqued again. but i suppose the easy thing to try would be ur manifold gasket, since you know its messed up. but if it was already messed up and didnt do this sound and then all of a sudden now it does, id put my money on the lifter.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Seth_787446
Professional

Well I just went out and bought a small magnetic telescope to check on the plenum plate. I also just bought the exhaust manifold gaskets at AutoZone. About the fuel injectors, they are what is making the ticking sound, I put my finger on them and i can feel it ticking, but that doesnt necessarily mean that they are bad right? just need a little more info from you guys, thanks!

Old 04-10-2011, 06:48 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth_787446
Well I just went out and bought a small magnetic telescope to check on the plenum plate. I also just bought the exhaust manifold gaskets at AutoZone. About the fuel injectors, they are what is making the ticking sound, I put my finger on them and i can feel it ticking, but that doesnt necessarily mean that they are bad right? just need a little more info from you guys, thanks!
No, they are good as long as they are giving the truck what it needs (fuel).

Gotta say, that's a first. Never heard of a fuel injector "ticking". You're sure it wasn't coming from somewhere under the injector? Possible that the vibration originates in the valvetrain and travels up through the heads, thus vibrating the injector in sync with the tick you hear.... Or I could be reading too far into a simple problem... wouldnt be the first time

Old 04-10-2011, 07:19 PM
Seth_787446
Professional

This is really not related but I did check my plenum plate today with the magnetic telescope thing and sure enough it stuck to the bottom plate and with my truck having 191,000 miles I'm pretty sure that is blown. I don't have the mirror to get a real good look inside but from what I saw there was no actual pooling but it did look like there was burnt oil in some areas. Would you say that it needs replaced right now or do you think that it can wait? If it needs fixed right now, what else should I fix with the plenum out of there? Thanks!

Old 04-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Its hard to determine if its blown with as many oil leaks as you have.

How many miles were on it when you bought it? It's possible that the previous owner replaced just the gasket (not the plate) If this is the case, it will blow again (if its not blown already).

Pictures are your friend here. If you have the means, some pics of the innards of the intake would be golden.

Regardless of all this, keep in mind that it will need to be done sooner or later. Better to go ahead and do it preventitively to avoid headaches later. Check your catalytic converter afterwards (and periodically before), driving with it clogged or severely impeded will lead to cracked heads (which is very bad). Your first sign that the cat is sh!tting the bed will be #8 spark plug fouling. Once that happens, you shouldn't continue driving or you will risk your heads cracking. A muffler shop should be able to pressure test it for you.

If you've been driving with it blown, It will foul the front o2 sensor and make your gas mileage worse than it already is

Quick Reply: Engine ticking? (video)