2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Major engine work ahead of me

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 04:52 PM
Seth_787446
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh you can add it into the gas tank? Does it clean my exhaust or cat or what? Sorry I just never heard of sefoam before.

Old 04-11-2011, 04:56 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It cleans your fuel system if you add it to your fuel. It cleans the carbon out of your engine if you add it to the air intake. You're an idiot if you add it to the oil.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:00 PM
Seth_787446
Professional

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
It cleans your fuel system if you add it to your fuel. It cleans the carbon out of your engine if you add it to the air intake. You're an idiot if you add it to the oil.
Yea I was watching some people on YouTube adding it to their oil and then reving their truck

Old 04-11-2011, 05:06 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wont do anything for your exhaust, adding it to the gas cleans the injectors, fuel lines, fuel pump, filter, etc.

Here's a write up I did for adding it to the intake: https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...-question.html
Doing this cleans the intake (not a concern for you if you do it after plenum), valves, piston heads, and cylinder bores. I recommend you do it after the plenum, but before the o2 sensors and spark plugs. This will ensure that the carbon that is knocked loose/burned off doesnt foul your new plugs/o2.

If you need a write up for adding it to the gas tank.... well, you probably shouldnt be driving anyway

I would also advise against adding it to the oil. Might just be my paranoid nature, but better safe than sorry.

Edited to add: the write up is about halfway down the page... 3rd post in that thread I believe

Last edited by Mad_Scientist; 04-11-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:13 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If you need a write up for adding it to the gas tank.... well, you probably shouldnt be driving anyway
I think if you need a write up for putting it in the intake, you might need to go back to First Grade. The instructions are on the can...

Old 04-11-2011, 05:27 PM
Mad_Scientist
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
I think if you need a write up for putting it in the intake, you might need to go back to First Grade. The instructions are on the can...
LOL, yeah, you'd be surprised though. I see people (on youtube, and here sometimes) doing it incorrectly quite a bit. Some folks don't kill the truck and wait for it to break up the carbon, which essentially wastes the can.

Old 04-11-2011, 06:54 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Seth_787446
That's a good point, I dont have what is necessary (tool wise) for taking the engine out, but what else beside what I listed would you recommend?

You can rent a cherry picker from most rental stores or even pick one up from Craigslist. For all you're doing, I'd pull the engine and tear it down to the bare block and have it washed at a machine shop. Have them check the cylinder bored, clean & rebuild the lifters, mic the crank, check the cam lobes -- the whole nice yards. Get a rebuild kit, re-ring everything, high volume oil pump, new timing chain, put it all together and drop it back in place.

There's a great How-To book for rebuilding Magnum engines that will walk you through everything.

Trust me, it's better in the long run than replacing a few odd items and running a can of Seafoam through the tank, but whatever floats your boat.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Seth_787446
Professional

Well I will probably end up doing that, I would rather pull the engine and replace everything because it does have 191,000 miles, I will rent a cherry picker and get to work in a few weeks.

Quick Reply: Major engine work ahead of me