2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CB Radio Mounting

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 10:33 PM
EFS463
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CB Radio Mounting

Right now I have a Cobra 75 WX ST Remote mount in my truck, but I want to mount one of my other radios, but I'm unsure of where to mount it. I was thinking about putting the radio right on the cupholder, and put it in just the right spot that I cant still fold down the cupholder and use it. I have a 99 ram, so the dash inst the same at the 96. Does anyone else have a better recommendation on where to mount it? Pictures encouraged. Thanks in advance

Old 04-12-2011, 10:52 PM
KB1KVD

You could build or purchase a center console. I have most of my ham gear mounted on the transmission hump and I'm operating with 4 radio's in my truck. I built a bracket system that accepts motorola and other radio mounting brackets. My icom 706 hf/vhf/uhf rig is remotely mounted, the main unit is bolted under the seat, the head unit is mounted to the dash with other mic's for the other radio's mounted on the dash. Just remember to ground out everything, these dodges are very electrically noisy especially on 40 and 20 meter ham bands.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:53 PM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional

That's exactly what I did with a Cobra Nightwatcher. I just screwed the bracket into the cup holder's bottom plate. Just be careful about mounting it too low, I have to replace my coax soon enough since it's bending it really badly when I put the cupholder down. It's too dark for pictures, if you still want 'em I can get some tomorrow for you.

Old 04-12-2011, 10:55 PM
EFS463
Professional

Originally Posted by Smashed-And-RAM
That's exactly what I did with a Cobra Nightwatcher. I just screwed the bracket into the cup holder's bottom plate. Just be careful about mounting it too low, I have to replace my coax soon enough since it's bending it really badly when I put the cupholder down. It's too dark for pictures, if you still want 'em I can get some tomorrow for you.
Yeah I'd like some pics if its not too much trouble. Do you have any issues with the cupholder coming down on hard bumps or anything?

Old 04-12-2011, 11:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,235 Likes on 2,984 Posts

Wasn't there a thread "Where did you mount your CB" or some such not so very long ago? There were some VERY cool ideas in that one.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:42 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 04-16-2011, 02:36 PM
Smashed-And-RAM
Professional

Originally Posted by iwhitne
One of these days I've gotta see that truck of yours, lol. That looks like a much better mounting system than where I've got mine. Kinda makes me ashamed to even go out there and take a picture of my setup, but I will after I go get fitted for a tuxedo ... bleh.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:32 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Smashed-And-RAM
One of these days I've gotta see that truck of yours, lol. That looks like a much better mounting system than where I've got mine. Kinda makes me ashamed to even go out there and take a picture of my setup, but I will after I go get fitted for a tuxedo ... bleh.
I live in Cleveland Heights now.. we should get together.. bring cash as my truck is for sale!

Old 02-17-2012, 01:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,235 Likes on 2,984 Posts

Originally Posted by iwhitne
I live in Cleveland Heights now.. we should get together.. bring cash as my truck is for sale!
I lived in Shaker for a while.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:49 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Make sure you run power straight to the radio and ground it good as well. Mine sits on the transmission hump and one day I will build a bracket, but mine right now is removable due to only using it very little. There are 3 TSB's on mounting these. http://dodgeram.info/tsb/1999-index.htm

Quick Reply: CB Radio Mounting