2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

greeny/ clear fluid splashed down my tracking bar and front axle??

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:19 PM
TBI IRRIGATION
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default greeny/ clear fluid splashed down my tracking bar and front axle??

Last night when i got home after bout 20 minute mellow drive, i got out of the truck and as i was walking to the house, looked back and noticed fluid splashed down my front end. There is really not much, and it was clearish and a little bit green. I noticed no leaks at all, but my engine coolant is pretty much bone dry. i check fluids and general inspections weekly as i have only had the beast for about 2 months, but last week the coolant was full.
any reason my truck might have started to use coolant? or is that what i was noticing splashed over my axle and track bars??

any help is great boys

Thanks

Old 04-13-2011, 12:29 PM
bcertain
Amateur

i would guess coolant. Check hoses, radiator, and water pump for leaks.

Good luck

Old 04-13-2011, 12:34 PM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Sounds like the timing cover gasket.....its burried behind all the pulleys and hard to see the leaks from there.....this is a common problm

Old 04-13-2011, 12:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Need to refill the system, then put some pressure on it, and find out where it is coming from. From your description, it should be an easy one to find.

Some favorite places for it to leak though are:

Weep hole on the water pump.
timing cover gasket.
freeze plug behind the engine mounts.
freeze plugs between engine and trans.
Heater return line inlet tube right at the water pump.
Bypass hose. (under the a/c compressor and bracket, can't see it without some disassembly.)

Old 04-13-2011, 03:15 PM
TBI IRRIGATION

thanks, i will pressurize it later and get a light and go under there and scope it out and let you know how i go

Old 04-13-2011, 04:09 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I add another spot to check and that is coolant tank, mine leaks bad, the tank is always empty and after a couple months I need to add water

Old 04-16-2011, 03:06 AM
TBI IRRIGATION

hey boyz, okay filled up coolant tank. checked it no leaks. it does have a bit of play in it on the side of the radiator but for sure no leaks. My radiator was almost full, only took a few drops of coolant. started the truck got right under it and waited for a leak. i was under there for over 10 minutes and nothing. no water pump leaks, no hoses. I wiped everything before starting the truck to make finding the leak easier, but i couldnt find anything.

took my canopy off, kept the truck running while i took it off, still no leaks no wet spots.

about an hour later, drove into town to get the misses from work bout 20 mins of mellow driving, gauges read very normal the whole way. i got out of the truck looked straight under the front, and there were a few little splashes of green on the right side of my axle and front diff (looking at it front on) and a small drip coming from under the bottom corner of rad. and a small drip coming off the plastic fan housing dead centre. thanks you!

its a real small drip, but i am a perfectionist and i am not stoked! so you boys got any other help, now that i have dug a bit deeper?? i looked at the pump behind the pulleys and it dry as a bone, and so is the rest of the block.

Old 04-16-2011, 07:06 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

check for a radiator leak at the seam between the plastic sides, and the center core. its a common leak point and usually - its not fixable and requires replacement.

be aware that heat and pressure will build up for about 5-10-15 minutes AFTER you turn off the truck, and this is when those tiny leaks - leak.

if you can't find it, you can get a radiator cap with an air adapter that lets you do a pressure test. this might cost too much to buy for one time use. you might can rent one?

if all else fails, go to a radiator shop for a "free estimate". they can pressure test it and find (and show) you the leak in about 5 minutes. you can go from there, pay them to fix it, or (to them) - hem/haw about not being able to afford the repair, and then go fix it yourself.

Quick Reply: greeny/ clear fluid splashed down my tracking bar and front axle??