2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

When is the TC supposed to lockup?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 03:52 AM
thexh20
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rl99dram
We have the same truck, but mines on roids haha.
its beefy man..im getting there, i like your side step..did you made that? im gonna do the same side step and wout the bumper, gonna make one clean skid plate will make it look gnarly on the ram.. gotta beef it up for baja dessert racing out there n do a prerun atleast check out their course n ranch..

Old 04-15-2011, 09:30 AM
jderou
Amateur

Originally Posted by Mad_Scientist
When I have O/D on, it will only engage in 4th @ about 50-55 depending on how far my foot is into it.

O/D off, it engages in 3rd at around 35-40 depending on my foot.

Are you saying that you don't have 4th gear, or that it locks in 3rd and 4th?
Locks in 3rd and 4th. Doesn't matter what O/D is set on, it still locks in 3rd, right after the shift.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:34 AM
jderou
Amateur

Originally Posted by rl99dram
I think its my TC but when im goin up a decent incline around 35-45, it feels luggy or jerky.. an idea?
Mine kinda does this too, when the TC is locked. Could be a misfire, though no codes for it.

Old 04-15-2011, 10:35 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

At low RPM, with TCC locked, if you have a miss, you WILL notice.

On the freeway, 4th gear, TCC locked, cruise set at 75, my truck will slow to around 70 if there is an incline you can see...... and proportionately slower the steeper the incline. It won't downshift, or unlock TCC, until it gets WAY slow though, which I find annoying... but hey. Probably need to re-gear to alleviate that one.

Old 04-15-2011, 12:56 PM
jderou
Amateur

Originally Posted by HeyYou
At low RPM, with TCC locked, if you have a miss, you WILL notice.

On the freeway, 4th gear, TCC locked, cruise set at 75, my truck will slow to around 70 if there is an incline you can see...... and proportionately slower the steeper the incline. It won't downshift, or unlock TCC, until it gets WAY slow though, which I find annoying... but hey. Probably need to re-gear to alleviate that one.
Is it possible to get this misfire, without setting a code? It has been doing that as long as I have owned it, but never set a code.

On the hwy at 60ish, in OD, if I hit a hill it will shift to third then down to second, though unnecessary.
Worst thing is a long hill. If I would let it, it would go back and forth between 3rd and 4th. Not good for tranny life.
Kinda funny, on the same hills my car stays in OD and barely comes out of 4 cylinder mode.

Old 04-15-2011, 01:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I had a dead miss on two cylinders (crossed plug wires... ooops), and they never set a code. Of course, at 45, when the truck shifted into O/D, and TCC engaged, it felt like the truck was going to shake itself apart......

Quick Reply: When is the TC supposed to lockup?