2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I need a switched ignition source for e-fans HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2011, 03:21 PM
dnfd737
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need a switched ignition source for e-fans HELP!

As stated above, I would like to run this through my fuse box if possible(or easy) but if this is too difficult I can put an inline fuse on the system. But I need a switched ignition source please tell me where I can find one on the top of the motor. I was thinking maybe the alt or the coil but not sure. is there a place in the wireing harnes that was left blank for maybe fog lamps(which I do not have)

its a 99 5.9 2wd ac

Old 04-14-2011, 07:19 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I get my power source straight from the battery, and for the ignition source I tapped into my cigarette lighter wiring. You can run it to the fuse in the cab, or splice it to the lighter's wiring in the cab. There is a large rubber plug in the firewall behind the brake pedal that you can drill a small hole through and run the wire through.

Old 04-14-2011, 07:29 PM
97Rampowerhouse
Captain

I spliced into my aftermarket cd player for ignition wire and ran fuseable link

Old 04-14-2011, 09:43 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Think I used the wiper motor

Its under the hood near drivers side good spring

Old 04-14-2011, 09:46 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Why not go straight to the battery? On a Honda Accord that my dad used to have, they were like that from the factory. When you shut the car off, the fans would run for a few minutes to help cool down the car faster.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:35 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Why not go straight to the battery? On a Honda Accord that my dad used to have, they were like that from the factory. When you shut the car off, the fans would run for a few minutes to help cool down the car faster.
Thats another way to do it. I had mine wired up that way at first, and the wife complained about how "when the car is off, it should be off, not parts still running" and blah blah.

Finally got tired of her complaining and wired it to my cigarette lighter, just to keep her from bugging me about it.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:30 AM
Slomojo
Veteran

Someone told me a good palce to tap into was the cruise control circuit. Before I got that idea, I just hooked a relay up to the power source going to my ignition coil and ran a hot wire into the relay straight from the battery so that when the relay was charged, the hot wire would run through the relay and on to my fans. Haven't had any issues with that setup so far. Easy to establish too. Only thing that bugs me is that I worry about how much juice is being leached away from the ignition coil through the relay and away from my spark plugs. I was told that the alternator compensates for the excess draw on the line but still, something auxiliary would be best. Something like the cruise control circuit or wiper motor circuit would be good. Just get an electrical tester to find what would work. Check for voltage on some random wires near your fan setup or place where you plan to put your relay before you turn power onto the ignition and then also test after you turn on the ignition. Whatever is off before the ignition and on afterwards should work just fine.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:52 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used the wiper motor and just tapped the back of the fuse box

Quick Reply: I need a switched ignition source for e-fans HELP!