2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question About Diesel Fuel Getting Mixed With Oil

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 02:10 AM
kcchief
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Question About Diesel Fuel Getting Mixed With Oil

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 Sport with the 5.9L Magnum engine in it.

I took it to this shop to have the heater core replaced back on March 9th, when they where inspecting the engine they noticed the intake gasket leaking and the timing cover gasket leaking. They told me it they needed to be replaced and that when my radiator hose busted it could have got coolant in the oil.

Well I get the truck back, but really dont drive it much but just here and there around town. I noticed my oil pressure started dropping so I put a new oil sending unit in it but it didnt fix it. So I drain a little oil out of it and the oil is a funky gray color and smells like laquer similiar to paint thinner and is so liquidified that it is almost like water....

Well I call this shop and this is what they tell me. In order to make sure the engine was clean of all old oil and any possible water or coolant they tell me this is what they did.

This guy says that they remove the oil pan plug and then take off both tappit covers on the heads. He proceeds to tell me that they pour a gallon of diesel fuel across each head to clean the engine out. He then said they then pour a quart of oil over each head and allow that to drain. Then they put the head covers back on and the oil plug and fill it with oil.

So now here is my question, what in the world can I do to save this engine? Can I take it some place and have them remove the oil pan and clean it real good and then some how correct flush the engine to get all that gray smelling oil out? If so what would be a good procedure to try on it, and then what type of oil should be used in it from that point on. Also should I have the oil pump replaced also, or is this just a lost cause?

I am just hoping I can save the engine before it really gets bad and messes up.

Thank you

Old 04-15-2011, 02:23 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've heard of people cleaning there engines with diesel. For me, the bigger question would be, why didn't they do an oil change or two in order to remove any remnants of diesel? If it was me, I'd change the oil and filter until it's back to normal. I don't think it would be more then twice or so. Fellas, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't wanna pass on bad info if I'm wrong.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:50 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Change the oil and filter, drive no more than another couple hundred miles (just doing your normal driving), then change the oil and filter again when the engine is up to normal operating temperature and has been there for at least 15 minutes. You've got nothing to worry about -- it looks worse than it is.

Originally Posted by J415
I've heard of people cleaning there engines with diesel.
I've done it several times, and several more with ATF instead of diesel, either way mixed 50:50 with engine oil to clean up engines that were full of gunk from neglected oil changes. (No, dammit, an oil leak and perpetual topping up is NOT a "constant oil change"!) I've yet to see it cause harm, though I suppose anything's possible.

Last edited by UnregisteredUser; 04-15-2011 at 02:55 AM.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:19 AM
TryMeImHard
Professional

deff dont continue service at that shop.. no harm done but they should of ran new oil thru a few times... and they didnt tell you until you called... that is why i like to do all my own stuff i've seen how they cut corners in SOME shops not all but alot do..

Old 04-15-2011, 06:25 AM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

The only time I've heard about people cleaning the engine with Diesel is when they were gonna yank it out and re-build it.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:02 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
The only time I've heard about people cleaning the engine with Diesel is when they were gonna yank it out and re-build it.
Well now you've heard of degunking an engine with huge crap buildup and sticky lifters with diesel so you can't say that again.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:00 AM
DukesOfHazzard
Record Breaker

yeah a couple oil changes (id buy the cheapest oil and filter to do this of course) then use whichever you want after that and you should be good to go but the shop should of took care of that before they gave it back to you. kinda the same as motor flush you buy at the parts stores.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:05 AM
kcchief

Well I have flushed the engine and flushed the engine with actual engine flush and even went to the tmobil high grade 8.00 a quart oil. After I drive it about 100 miles or so it starts loosing pressure again. Have done this a few times but after about 100 miles it starts acting up again. I am going to do a lower rebuild on it, but when I do the lower rebuild I am going to replace the oil pump with the Melling High Volume Oil pump but have a question. Do I need to replace the rod bearings or main bearings or both? I was told to do a lower end rebuild which can be done just by removing the oil pan but am trying to figure out if it is the rod bearings or main bearings or both that get replaced. What is really strange though is the truck does not smoke and the top of the engine does not tick or rattle, but now when I first start it you can hear a little rattle from the bottom of the engine but then it goes away once running.

Thanks....

Old 04-26-2011, 11:29 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

If you are going to be in there anyway...... Replace ALL rod and main bearings, rear oil seal, and oil pump. Might even consider going with a high volume pump.... Make sure the pickup is nice and squeaky clean as well.

Quick Reply: Question About Diesel Fuel Getting Mixed With Oil