2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

tranny questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 11:00 AM
king_moaoe
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question tranny questions

i have athe 1996 1500 and lately its been jerking a little while it shifts. im worried this might get worse, would changing the tranny fluid help? what stuff should i add in with and is it easy like the oil? another question is the switch on the tranny that controls my back lights, what does it look like on tranny?

Old 04-15-2011, 12:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Check your fluid level first. have to check it in neutral, won't give an accurate reading in park.

Changing the fluid/filter is rarely a 'bad' idea. Tad more messy than an oil change though. No drain plug to make it easy. Do not put ANY additives into your trans. Use ONLY ATF +4.

Adjusting the bands isn't a bad plan either, provided you have the correct tools.

Grab the 01 service manual from the FAQ section here. Not exactly what you have, but, it will be close enough in this instance. Shows where parts are, procedures for changing them, etc.

Quick Reply: tranny questions