2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Really need help !!!! Please help !!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 01:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Have a look when you pull it, if there is any obvious damage.... well, it's damaged....

Trouble is, the aftermarket parts just don't do very well in critical locations on our trucks. Crank Position sensor most certainly qualifies as "critical". They may work fine one day, and fail completely (or anything in between) the next. Too many failure modes to list.

Swap it out, see if it fixes it, if it doesn't, we can go from there.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:09 PM
Cwarden07
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well thanks I really hope this is it... If not I dont know what else it would be cause if it was fuel related it would do it while reving and in 1 or 2. I pray this is it I want my truck back really bad ! hank you tons. Ill let you know !

Old 04-20-2011, 05:02 PM
mackbarr1014
Professional

When you say ne thing do you mean anything?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:30 AM
Cwarden07
Rookie

Well Its at 49 psi at idle. And I put the CPS in and it is still doing it. Im thinking the cat it plugged because when i go to take off it sorta lunges a few times. The cat also has turned kinda blue on the outside. I removed to O2 sensor and it ran a little bit better. Any ideas ?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:33 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

If you live somewhere that doesn't do emissions testing, hollow out the cat, and see if that helps.

Have you tested the throttle position sensor??

Old 04-21-2011, 11:41 AM
Cwarden07
Rookie

how would u hollow it out .. wouldnt that kill your backpressure?
And how do you test the tps? I figured if it was TPS it would throw a code and would do it in all gears ? Thanks so much again !

Old 04-21-2011, 12:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

A clogged cat gives you backpressure, which causes some interesting problems. Backpressure, in any form, is bad.

To hollow it out, remove the pre-cat O2 sensor, cut/otherwise remove the pipe from right behind the cat. Poke in there with a sharp, pointy, STRONG stick, that is long enough to do the job. Use a hammer to pound it in if necessary. Break up the substrate in there as much as you can. (wear a dust mask too....) if you can scrape it out, do so, once done there, start the engine, and rap on it a couple times to blow some more of the crap out. Lather, rinse, repeat, until you have it all out. Re-install pre-cat O2, use a sleeve to put the pipes back together, or, if you have the stuff, weld it back up.

TPS won't necessarily throw a code. If the signal voltage back to the pcm is erratic, it interprets that as you just having a nervous foot on the gas. To check it, need to either be able to read the data on a scan tool, or, measure output voltage at the signal wire from the tps. Should start low, less than, or very close to.. 1 volt, and rise STEADILY as you open the throttle, to some value greater than 3.5 volts. Not sure if a parts store scan tool would be good enough, but, worth a shot if you don't have an ANALOG! volt meter.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Cwarden07
Rookie

Well I put a new TPS Sensor on it and still runs like crap. I can floor it but now when i get to 3rd gear it starts to pop and like cut out for a min. Had a po171 code but i wonder if thats cause I have the 02 sensor juss hanging there !

Old 04-22-2011, 12:08 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

You are correct on the code, which is going to cause the truck to run a bit rich. If having it out doesn't make that much difference, disconnect the battery for a few minutes to reset the PCM, and put it back. Take it for a drive, and see if with everything in place it doesn't feel better.

Old 04-22-2011, 12:24 AM
Cwarden07
Rookie

Ok thank you tons !! I hope this doesnt boil down to a internal engine problem. When I floor it it cuts out for like 3 seconds like it stopped breathing almost. Then pops and sputters and makes loud popping sounds. When I put it in drive it sorta lunges back n forth a little bit like the truck is rocking. Do you still think the cat is clogged. Also looked at the cat and the metal is turning blue like its been real hot or something ?