2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

deep transmission pans

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 10:32 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

The factory aux cooler is between the radiator, and the a/c condenser. If you look up at the passenger side of the radiator, you should see lines going to/coming from the aux cooler, in addition to the in-radiator cooler.

Increasing the volume of fluid, and surface area of coolers for the trans fluid, WILL keep your trans cooler. All else being equal (what you are doing with your trans, be it towing, plowing, etc.) being able to shed the heat at a higher rate than stock, and having a larger volume of fluid to absorb/radiate the heat, will yield lower average operating temps.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:42 AM
muzz3256
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
.....(what you are doing with your trans, be it towing, plowing, etc.) .....
I tow a little bit, motorcycle trailer mostly, maybe a small camper in the future, and I have been known to go off-road from time to time

Old 04-24-2011, 11:24 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Off road and deep pan dont always mix well.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:26 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

So far as I am concerned, there really is no downside to upgrading the trans, be it internal hard parts, or, better cooling/more fluid capacity.

Bear in mind, it IS possible to run TOO cool, so, if you think you might run into that possibility, and thermostatically controlled bypass valve wouldn't be such a bad plan either.

Just saw aim's post. That is quite true..... skid plate may not be a bad plan as well.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:27 AM
muzz3256
Rookie

See, that's what I was thinking, but I hadn't gotten under the truck to take a look and just what I'd be loosing clearance wise. I may just do the remote filter kit from Derale and the check valve delete.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:57 AM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by muzz3256
I tow a little bit, motorcycle trailer mostly, maybe a small camper in the future, and I have been known to go off-road from time to time
im pretty sure he was refering to my post considering i was the op. i plow in the winter and i tow a camper in the spring/summer...

Old 04-24-2011, 01:56 PM
xjarhead69
Record Breaker

So far as I am concerned, there really is no downside to upgrading the trans, be it internal hard parts, or, better cooling/more fluid capacity.

Bear in mind, it IS possible to run TOO cool, so, if you think you might run into that possibility, and thermostatically controlled bypass valve wouldn't be such a bad plan either.

Just saw aim's post. That is quite true..... skid plate may not be a bad plan as well.
The best way to avoid running to cool is to run thru the aux cooler first then thru the radiator cooler.
The aux cooler can drop the tranny temp well below operating temp.
The radiator cooler will help maintain proper operating temp esp in the winter time.
When i did my tranny i bypassed the rad cooler all together and when it got cold it wouldnt shift and thru a code for tranny temp to cold.
The tranny temp has to be within certain degrees of engine temp or it will not shift properley according to the manual.

Dave

Old 04-24-2011, 06:18 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

think im gonna order the derale deep pan and b&m remote filter next week... i also think im going to be ordering a new radiator, because when i swapped in my new trans and installed the aux cooler, i completely bypassed the rad cooler. the old fluid is still in there and is extremely contaminated. any other opinions?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:38 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Flush the old cooler. No reason to replace the radiator because of that. If you don't have any other issues with it, that is.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:00 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Flush the old cooler. No reason to replace the radiator because of that. If you don't have any other issues with it, that is.
yeah....forgot to mention that some of the tubes are getting bloated, like theyre partially clogged. dont feel like my rad blowing on me while towing. rock auto has them for cheaper than advance. we will see.

Quick Reply: deep transmission pans