2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Towing Question for the V6 Crowd

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 07:46 PM
jschatz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gotcha. I also found by search and then actually looking in the service manual that rtv is used on the rear pumpkin. So what is the major consensus on band adjustment. Is the factory service manual right or wrong. I figure I probably should adjust them.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:05 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Yup on the RTV.

Unless you're having problems, I'd leave the bands alone or have a professional shop adjust them (someone that can be held liable if they muck it up). Misadjusting the bands can really fry a tranny fast.

Last edited by jasonw; 05-01-2011 at 09:12 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:16 PM
jschatz
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I finished my tanny service today and have a problem. I am going to tell what I did and then what is wrong.
  • I drained the fluid and removed the pan.
  • I removed the filter.
  • I removed the line containing the check valve. (The arrow on the valve pointed towards the cooler.)
  • I mounted a Trans Dapt plate 1028 on the passenger fender well.
  • I ran a hose from the transmission line to the "IN" port on the filter plate.
  • I ran a hose from the "OUT" port on the filter plate into the transmission cooler.
  • I attached a Napa 1515 filter to the filter plate.
  • I drilled the pan and inserted a drain plug next to the magnet.
  • I installed the new pan filter.
  • I installed the pan with gasket.
  • I added 4 quarts of ATF+4.
  • I ran the truck in neutral on jack stands and shifted thru all of the gears manually.
  • When I checked fluid it was good.

I went to drive the truck. When I started it up I let it idle in neutral for 15 seconds before I took off. It shifted into reverse fine. I backed out of the driveway. I shifted down into drive and it hesitated before it moved forward. It hesitated to shift into second and then shuddered when I stopped. I turned around and came home. Checked fluid, in neutral with the truck idling. there wasnt any showing on the dipstick. Add half a quart of fluid now shows full on dipstick. Went for test drive. Shifts into reverse and goes fine. Hesitates on take off when I shifted into drive. Shudders when I stop. If i just go back and forth between drive and reverse in my driveway it will drive 5 or 6 feet wrong. I did not touch the band adjustment. Did I burn up the clutches from too little fluid? Is my napa filter altering the line pressure too much? Did I destroy my transmission?

What should I do? I was planning to move with it starting Tuesday.

Thanks,
Ray

p.s. I also changed the diff fluid and oil.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:01 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

None on the dipstick and you only added half a quart? I think you're still low.
When you add fluid and check it then your dipstick will pull fluid off the walls of the tube on its way in and you will get a false reading. I bet the back (bottom going in) of the dipstick only had fluid on the edges of it.

You can count on anywhere from 4-8 quarts of fluid to fill after a fluid change.
I let mine sit overnight with the fluid drained and it took 7 or 8 quarts to get it full.

Quick Reply: Towing Question for the V6 Crowd