2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

no oil pressure... i think

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 09:54 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default no oil pressure... i think

ok so put a mech gauge...no pressure no oil even went into the line...but i can start truck no rattles or noised...but i dont wanna test it so i am just curious how i can go from great oil pressure then nothing all of a sudden. and i really dont wanna drop the oil pan i just dont have the time right now but i need my truck....just curious if something can clog the port or if i could of messed something up while doing my intake swap....

Old 04-26-2011, 10:16 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Didn't leave a rag in the valley when you put it back together did you?

The mech gauge will sometimes take a minute or three to actually start reading pressure. Verify that the line isn't leaking somewhere, and everything is up to snuff.

Dropping the pan really doesn't take all that long. I can swap oil pumps in less than two hours.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:38 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

yeah i know i didnt leave anything in there had 2 people check lol...i only left the mech gauge in there for a minute but i took it out and no oil in line....i got a h/v pump in the garage just need to get a screen and oil pan gasket i guess then go to town just hope thats it.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:43 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

You can re-use your pickup. It just threads in there. Clean it out really good, maybe modify the shroud around the screen, for a larger inlet area, and screw it into the new pump. Save yourself 15 bucks or so.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:46 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

sweet thanks again...i owe you a christmas card or something lol... I just hope thats it here is a vid

http://s1027.photobucket.com/albums/...6-09-51-30.mp4

Old 04-26-2011, 11:48 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

well that didnt work let me try youtube

Old 04-27-2011, 07:01 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well, with no oil pressure, and no huge leaks where its running out on the ground, then the oil pump has likely gotten clogged up. most likely at the pickup screen on the input side. probably not in the output due to its high pressures. maybe from coolant? or dislodged sludge or something.

one fix is to remove starter, flex plate cover, oil pan, oil pump, and replace.

since i'm a lazy hack, and always looking for the easy way out, here's an alternative. drain oil, replace plug. pour about 2 gallons of diesel fuel into the engine and let it sit for a few hours. do not start it. drain it out. repeat. fill with the cheapest oil you can find and 1 quart diesel. crank it and let it idle for a few minutes. see if you have pressure. if so, drain oil and refill. if not, you either need to use a stronger solvent, or do it right and remove the pan.

Quick Reply: no oil pressure... i think