2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Are our steering boxes adjustable and if so, what does that mean?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 12:48 AM
vikingdiesel
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are our steering boxes adjustable and if so, what does that mean?

Seems like most of my play is coming from the steering box, is it adjustable and if so what does that mean? How do you adjust or am i better off buying a new one?

Old 04-27-2011, 08:38 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

there is a allen head screw on the top of the box accompanied by a 15mm nut you have to loosed first....screwing it down will mesh the steering gears together tighter removing some play..just dont tighten it too much were the steering seems harder and doesnt return to home position on its own.(this will wear the gears out very fast)... their are a few other caused of play in our steering which I am actually in the process of clearing up on mine now...use the search function and type "steering bracket" and you will see a craigslist thread I have just commented on... long story short I have a hunch that bracket mentioned there is what would do the most good in resolving your steering play and wander. mine arrives tomorrow that I ordered on ebay.... I cant wait to try it out.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:25 PM
ramtough360ci
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default steering issues

I would highly suggest checking your steering shaft itself, they are always bad. I just installed a boregeson shaft on my 95 and it made a world of difference no more steering wander and much tighter as well. I did also tighten my box do not tighten more than half a turn it will take the gears out of the box.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

There is a specific torque range for adjusting the sector shaft tension. But, ya gotta pull the steering shaft to be able to do it. (not to mention having an inch/pound torque wrench) Best method (aside from the 'right' way) is to tighten it a bit, and drive it. See how it feels.

Overtightening it will cause your truck to want to go any direction BUT straight. WAY to exciting for my tastes.

Quick Reply: Are our steering boxes adjustable and if so, what does that mean?