2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

plenum and timing chain question

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 11:31 AM
madore33
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plenum and timing chain question

i have a 97 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with 212,000 on it.. it has just recently started puffing blue smoke when i start it in the mornings then it goes right away after running for a few seconds..im to assume that this has soomething to do with the lower plenum gasket being blown out..im getting ready to do this fix (the hughes plate)..I want to get a new timing chain and do this while i have it apart..what would everyone recommend for a brand on timing chain..any double roller chain would work? is one brand better than the other?..any thoughts.. thanks guys

Old 04-28-2011, 11:43 AM
dipsherry
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i just did this a few weeks back i got the comp cams double roller... i would do waterpump while down there cause it has to come off to get to timing chain...my truck runs smother starts easier now with the new chain my rig had 227xxx miles when i change my chain...she was sloppy

Old 04-28-2011, 11:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

A bit of blue at startup may be valve seals as well. Given the mileage on your truck though, its a pretty good bet the plenum needs.... some attention....

I got this timing set. No problems with it. I noticed a BIG difference in the way the engine ran with JUST this fix.

Might also wanna replace the water pump, since you have to take it off to get to the timing set.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:27 PM
dipsherry
Record Breaker

this is the timing set i got it works good for me and cant beat the price

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-2103/

Old 04-28-2011, 06:30 PM
seabass202
Veteran

Just did my t-chain over the 3 day Easter weekend. I got the comp cams double roller w/the advance and retard keyway notches. after reviewing the instructions I ended up using the factory setting. the instructions recommend this. I also got the t-chain tensioner as well and the fel-pro gasket kit (which lacked the O-ring for the heater bypass tube that started leaking, got a brand new heater bypass tube w/o-ring the next day from the "HELP?" section for $12) got everything from autozone for about $110. probably didn't need the tensioner with the double roller and a higher mileage engine but glad its in there now. give yourself two days of working easy and cleaning everything real well. I however noticed no difference in performance and my original t-chain was scary loose. haven't driven enough to comment on fuel mileage. by my thinking a loose t-chain actually retards timing ( the preferred for more power from these engines according to people that have done so with the selectable keyways on this forum) so I wasn't to surprised. also if you want autozone to be able to find the tensioner, look for same year 3.9 v6 for the right part #. it doesn't seem listed as an option for the 5.9 v8 in their system. also a tip, if your not changing the water pump you don't need to remove the fan from it. mine was giving me fits and I have the right size wrench and holding tool. seems it could be reverse threads or maybe not. so I just removed the wp, fan and shroud at the same time. saved some time and aggravation.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:34 PM
DodgeRam10
Veteran

i got this set its the same as the one dipsherry posted but you get free shipping from amazon so its 45 after shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Competition-Ca...T04WFSPCSAXMN1

Old 04-28-2011, 07:43 PM
RamNJeep
Rookie

I got the timing set from Hughes when I ordered the plenum kit. It lists at $92 but seems to be a quality set. 3 keyways (+2, 0, -2) but I just went dot to dot. Made by Progear, but I cant comment whether this one is better than any other. I know price doesnt mean quality but I wanted the best thing I could afford.

+1 on the water pump removal. I moved the fan shroud back over the fan, removed radiator, then shroud, then water pump. no hassles.

Last edited by RamNJeep; 04-28-2011 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:53 AM
madore33
Amateur

thanks guys on the ideas.. i have done the water pump last year that seems to be good no leaks..also i have a 195 t stat in it now i think im gonna be installing the 180 when it goes back together..any preferences on brand of t stat any one work better than the other i have a carquest in it now which is made by stant i do believe..

Old 04-29-2011, 10:17 AM
dodgeram07
Champion

have a 5 gallon bucket to catch fuild,, then removing sum of the timing chain bolts keep the bucket because a few of them when removed coolet will come out

also try not to damage the oil pan gasket, i put a little rtv on mine reinstalling

Old 04-29-2011, 11:56 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DodgeRam10
i got this set its the same as the one dipsherry posted but you get free shipping from amazon so its 45 after shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Competition-Ca...T04WFSPCSAXMN1
did it come with the chain because it says " chain available separately"

Quick Reply: plenum and timing chain question