2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problems with automatic transmission on Ram 1997

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 03:46 PM
weltreisende.ch
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Problems with automatic transmission on Ram 1997

Hi we are guys from Swittzerland. We bought our truck in Canada and are now on the way down to Argentina. In the moment we are in Columbia.

Our Truck ist a Dodge Ram2500 1997 with a 5.9 Cummins diesel. 4wd and automatic transmission with overdrive. in the moment 250000Km

We are travelling with a camper that have 1200 kg 2320 pounds.

Here the problem

The last 4000 Kilometres some times the transmission has problems do decide the correct gear. So it flips between the gears. As we are heavy with our camper this problems was always, but only in special situations as strong wind or in the mountains and less regularly. When this problem is actual the transmission do not change in the highest gear even downhill.
Between this time sometimes for 3 to 4 days the transmission works correct and then the same problem come again.

Remarque, the Throttle position sensor (TPS) was changed end of June 2010 with 215000 Kilometres. The level of transmission oil is correct and we changed it 2 months ago.

So as here there are a lot of specialsts I hope that you can get me suggestions on this problem. Thank you in advance and sorry for my english

Christine

Old 05-02-2011, 04:02 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

Did it do this before you changed the transmission fluid?

Old 05-02-2011, 05:18 PM
weltreisende.ch

maybe one day with strong winds. But after changing the transmission fluid the first 2 months absolut normal. After 2 months the problem starts.

Old 05-02-2011, 05:39 PM
candymancan
Veteran

You arent driving this with overdrive on in the mountains are you ? Because you should never tow alot of weight with overdrive

Old 05-02-2011, 06:54 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Get it to a place that can check the computer for an internal code....that may point to your problem.
I and others here have had similar issues caused by the common failure of the governor pressure solenoid and sensor... when they get contaminated/plugged or just fail they start to effect shifting and can cause everything from shifting late and randomly up and down or hard shifts to not shifting beyond a certain gear at all...mine was so bad it wouldn't shift beyond first gear. it can be fixed with about $200 in parts and fluid and an hour of time....of course all that being said i'm talking about the 46re transmission and I'm not sure if thats what you have with that cummins? if its the dodge tranny be sure it has ATF+4 in it... many have stated using other transmission fluids will destroy the transmission

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 05-02-2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Gerehead8
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Augiedoggy
Get it to a place that can check the computer for an internal code....that may point to your problem.
I and others here have had similar issues caused by the common failure of the governor pressure solenoid and sensor... when they get contaminated/plugged or just fail they start to effect shifting and can cause everything from shifting late and randomly up and down or hard shifts to not shifting beyond a certain gear at all...mine was so bad it wouldn't shift beyond first gear. it can be fixed with about $200 in parts and fluid and an hour of time....of course all that being said i'm talking about the 46re transmission and I'm not sure if thats what you have with that cummins? if its the dodge tranny be sure it has ATF+4 in it... many have stated using other transmission fluids will destroy the transmission
The cummins/v10 has the 47RE behind it. Essentially the same tranny just bigger parts. They have the same problems as anyother Dodge tranny of the era.

Old 05-03-2011, 03:11 AM
nolazach
Veteran

Wow..

So you drove through Mexico to Central america on to South America??

One time a friend of mine wanted me to drive a moving van from Venezuela to New Orleans, but I backed out. I'm afraid driving down there. But I guess it helps being Swiss, no one dislikes the Swiss.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:20 PM
weltreisende.ch
Default Overdrive

Originally Posted by candymancan
You arent driving this with overdrive on in the mountains are you ? Because you should never tow alot of weight with overdrive

Sorry I am not shure if I understand you correct. When the overdrive is on or of? As I start the truck in normal conditions. I do not touch the overdrive button. In the mountains I press the button and the light on the button is activ. So is this in your opinion correct what I do or not?

Old 05-06-2011, 02:26 PM
weltreisende.ch

[QUOTE=Augiedoggy;2495142]Get it to a place that can check the computer for an internal code....that may point to your problem.
I and others here have had similar issues caused by the common failure of the governor pressure solenoid and sensor... when they get contaminated/plugged or just fail they start to effect shifting and can cause everything from shifting late and randomly up and down or hard shifts to not shifting beyond a certain gear at all...mine was so bad it wouldn't shift beyond first gear. it can be fixed with about $200 in parts and fluid and an hour of time....of course all that being said i'm talking about the 46re transmission and I'm not sure if thats what you have with that cummins? if its the dodge tranny be sure it has ATF+4 in it... many have stated using other transmission fluids will destroy the transmission[/QUhttps://dodgeforum.com/forum/images/smilies/icon_knight.gifOTE]

First of all thanks to all for your help. I am surprised of all this replys. We scanned allready the computer. There is no error.
what is a the governor pressure solenoid and sensor. Can you send me a link of a page with a description? What is about the rpm sensors? Can they also cause this problem?

Thanks in advance

P.S If anybody know a good shopfloor for Dodge in Ecuador or Peru that can help us.

Quick Reply: Problems with automatic transmission on Ram 1997