2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Issues/Lights on Dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 01:18 PM
sparkyinthesouth
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Transmission Issues/Lights on Dash

I have a 2001 Ram 2500 5.9L and I'm experiencing a few issues that I'm not quite sure are related. I have found some very useful information on these forums, but feel more confused then when I started. I have only owned this truck for several months and shifting from first to second has always been difficult (seem to need to let your foot off the gas to allow it to shift), but as of yesterday an ABS light came on the dash and now the speedometer and turn signals no longer seem to work. Additionally, now the transmission does not seem to want to shift at all. The light dissappeared for an hour or so after restarting the vehicle and during that time everything went back to normal. After starting it again a short while later the symptoms have returned. I keep seeing mention of a wheel speed sensor and a speed output sensor in the forums, but for the year of my vehicle I am confused as to which sensor I should be looking to replace and where it would be located. Help would be much appreciated!

Old 05-08-2011, 02:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

On yours, they are one and the same. The sensor sits on top of the rear axle, quick, painless, and easy. check that it isn't just a dirty connector, and if that looks good, replace the sensor.

Old 05-08-2011, 02:43 PM
sparkyinthesouth
Default Sensor

What is the name of the sensor that I am checking? Just in case it does need replacing. I called PepBoys and they gave me a list of four different sensors. When I called AutoZone they only listed one. I was under the impression that it was called the output speed sensor. Is this correct? Thank you very much for your quick reply and information!

Old 05-08-2011, 11:14 PM
sparkyinthesouth
Default Trouble finding a match

Okay, so I yanked out a sensor that looks identical to the stock.jpg attached below. However, when I went to autozone they sold me the part (autozone.jpg) as the correct match for my vehicle. What gives? They are obviously two different parts, so is my only option taking a trip to the stealership and hoping it is reasonably priced?

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Issues/Lights on Dash-stock.jpg   Transmission Issues/Lights on Dash-autozone.jpg  
Old 05-08-2011, 11:29 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

wrong one. you want the abs sensor. might also be called speed sensor......

Quick Reply: Transmission Issues/Lights on Dash