2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

95 1500 4x4 keeping me stranded!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 12:35 PM
SpencerS
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the valve on the fuel pump i left open is called a rollover valve or pressure release valve according to the chilton. I went to napa, autozone and cragan and they dont carry them. its probably a dealer part but i just left it open and it ran fine.

how do i test if each sparkplug is getting spark? the boots on the wires are to big to see if its arc'ing with a screwdriver.

Old 05-09-2011, 12:45 PM
SpencerS
Captain

also is the pick-up coil the same thing as the camshaft position sensor? If not then i replaced the pick-up coil instead of that sensor, could that be my problem?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:15 PM
Novarider
Captain

Wait our fuel filters aren't replaceable by themselves? I haven't had my truck very long so I haven't looked into replacing the filter yet

Is your truck throwing any codes?

Old 05-09-2011, 01:20 PM
SpencerS
Captain

well i ended up arcing all spark plugs and i am getting spark. But now i have no fuel pressure(turn the key on 3 times leaving the key on for 5 seconds, and pressed the schrader valve w/ a screw driver and nothing came out), bad fuel pump after 3 days?

Could it be that pressure release/rollover valve on the pump? even the new pump assemblies didn't come with one of those.

edit: my truck is not throwing any codes, the oil temp light stays on in the truck when i turn the key on when all others go off tho.

Last edited by SpencerS; 05-09-2011 at 01:22 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:24 PM
Novarider
Captain

Originally Posted by SpencerS
how do i test if each sparkplug is getting spark? the boots on the wires are to big to see if its arc'ing with a screwdriver.

Couldn't you just pull the plug then plug it into the wire and touch the side of the plug to the block with some pliers and have someone crank the motor? I know that works on mowers and other small engines 2 and 4 cycle doesn't matter. Never tried it on a car tho

Old 05-09-2011, 01:34 PM
SpencerS
Captain

i just stuck a screw driver into the wire and touched it to the block while it was cranking. They all had spark!

Old 05-09-2011, 01:48 PM
SpencerS
Captain

another troubleshooting question.

when i installed the new fuel pump i had to get a rubber fuel line repair kit. The only one that fit didnt have a 90 degree angle so i had to bend the rubber fuel line to get it onto the hardline. This created some kinks but the truck ran perfect even with these little kinks. I looked at the fuel pump just not and the kinks havnt changed.

Could this cause a problem? any thoughts?
I am thinking not because the stock one was like that too and it ran fan until the fuel pump took a shat.

Old 05-09-2011, 01:53 PM
Novarider
Captain

I would look into replacing the rollover valve. Maybe it has to do with a vacuum or something that makes the pump operate properly. If that doesn't fix it maybe you got a bad pump?

Old 05-09-2011, 02:10 PM
SpencerS
Captain

i called the stealership and its gonna be 46 bucks for that little plastic rollover valve. He is going to have it in tommorow. I also had a warranty on the fuel pump im going to take it in and exchange it.

I was also able to borrow a car from my dad so getting to work wont be an issue anymore haha.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:48 PM
SpencerS
Captain

well i tested all the injectors with the noid light and they are all good. Which leads me to believe its a fuel problem. What else could cause the truck not to get fuel besides the fuel pump?

Quick Reply: 95 1500 4x4 keeping me stranded!