2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 magnum CEL P0201-P0208 help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 10:58 PM
w1ck3tt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
All of the gauges are controlled by the PCM, at least, that's where their signals originate. Then I believe it passes thru the central timer module...... Just as an experiment...... try plugging the original PCM back in, and see if the gauges work, or if the codes come back.
I will do that tomorrow eve if the weather clears up....it started pooring and I had to quit for the evening.....

Old 05-28-2011, 01:15 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you gotta choice.. either you can play guinea pig and answer a question that has been on my mind, or you can put that original PCM back in there knowing you got an issue somewhere in it..

the program on that new PCM isn't for your year.. there is a difference between '01 and '02/3's.. the fuse/relay panel is different.. you can experiment by guessing the year of program (from what I gather, '98-'01 are dang near duplicates, so that is a good shot) and rearranging the relays to duplicate a '98 (the slots are the same from what I gather, but the purpose of the positions is different- go figure).. Or- you can put the old one back in while you send the new PCM back and have them flash it for YOUR year..

If you put the OLD PCM back in, do me a favor and pull the c-codes.

thanks.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:21 AM
drewactual
Champion

and one more thing- obvious question I should have asked first: are your injectors original equipment? If you have AM injectors, and one of those EV1- EV6 adapters, well, BINGO.. your truck is NOT the same as most second generations- they don't all run EV6's, and there is an adapter made by Accel (god help you with ANYTHING made by accel) that people use, and ultimately have issues with..

If you DO have the adapters, I have eight new ones.. I'd dang near be willing to send them to you to see if that is your huckleberry..

can you take and post pic's of your rig?

and then this: CK schooled me on injector harnesses once.. those critters are fickle, and they have to seat just right.. I can't recall his ultimate diagnosis, but it had something to do with the pins being too small a gauge for the female connector, or something to that effect..

the biggest problem with buying a used vehicle, and the things that cause you to pull your hair out tracking down- are the things the PO did to it that went undocumented or recorded.. I'm going to ask you if yo know if that engine is original? Or, if it was damaged such as fire damage and the thing rewired? If it was rewired, was it rewired with the proper year harness? Is the truck running a cali emission harness on a federal rig? (Hey, I watched a guy argue with a new engine once for over a year before he realized he was dealing with a cali engine and a federal harness) .. if those injector connectors were pulled w/o great care to keep them from 'wallowing', THERE is possibly your issue..

You say this has been with the truck since you got it.. these are some of the questions I would be asking myself.. this one would be the first: Is there ANY evidence of the PO doing any work on that truck that looks like a 'rig' instead of properly done? ANY wiring of accessories? ANY work under the hood?

Alright.. I'm totally out of ammo now.. good luck!

Last edited by drewactual; 05-28-2011 at 01:50 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 08:58 PM
w1ck3tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by drewactual
and one more thing- obvious question I should have asked first: are your injectors original equipment? If you have AM injectors, and one of those EV1- EV6 adapters, well, BINGO.. your truck is NOT the same as most second generations- they don't all run EV6's, and there is an adapter made by Accel (god help you with ANYTHING made by accel) that people use, and ultimately have issues with..

If you DO have the adapters, I have eight new ones.. I'd dang near be willing to send them to you to see if that is your huckleberry..

can you take and post pic's of your rig?

and then this: CK schooled me on injector harnesses once.. those critters are fickle, and they have to seat just right.. I can't recall his ultimate diagnosis, but it had something to do with the pins being too small a gauge for the female connector, or something to that effect..

the biggest problem with buying a used vehicle, and the things that cause you to pull your hair out tracking down- are the things the PO did to it that went undocumented or recorded.. I'm going to ask you if yo know if that engine is original? Or, if it was damaged such as fire damage and the thing rewired? If it was rewired, was it rewired with the proper year harness? Is the truck running a cali emission harness on a federal rig? (Hey, I watched a guy argue with a new engine once for over a year before he realized he was dealing with a cali engine and a federal harness) .. if those injector connectors were pulled w/o great care to keep them from 'wallowing', THERE is possibly your issue..

You say this has been with the truck since you got it.. these are some of the questions I would be asking myself.. this one would be the first: Is there ANY evidence of the PO doing any work on that truck that looks like a 'rig' instead of properly done? ANY wiring of accessories? ANY work under the hood?

Alright.. I'm totally out of ammo now.. good luck!

Lets see, my injectors resemble the EV6 one in the picture, and they are red. No clue if they are original, or if anything had been rigged. Everything in the engine bay is clean, and LOOKS original (i know that does'nt mean a whole lot) I do know that Triad Racing in North Carolina was the previous owner, and I was toying around with contacting them about this issue. They sold the truck because the tranny took a dump. The dealer did'nt know anything else about the truck, it was one they bought cheap at auction and turned around and sold it cheap.

With the old ecm, the c-codes are: 81 00, a3 06, a4 10, aa 02, 00 00, I read them again and got these: a4 11, aa 03, 81 00, a3 08, a4 12, aa 04. I read them several times and seemed to get something different every time! And yes, all the gauges worked with the old ecm.

New ecm c-codes are: 81 00, a3 10, a4 14, a3 15, a4 19, aa 00, 00 00. Again, I got different codes each time I would read it...and the gauges worked when starting the c-code run.

Here is a pic of one injector:

Attached Thumbnails 5.9 magnum CEL P0201-P0208 help...-eng2.jpg  
Old 05-28-2011, 09:00 PM
w1ck3tt
Rookie

Oh yes, you see exposed wiring because I've been examining the wires. I will rewrap them once I'm done and shes finally fixed!

Old 05-29-2011, 12:11 AM
drewactual
Champion

I was looking for a PCM failure to connect c-code, or some other sort of invalid PCM c-code.. you didn't list any, but you showed several power issues with the cluster/chassis..

the first two digits are the actual code, the second two are the number of key cycles since it was first recorded..

I was hoping to find an electrical issue that was on a common circuit to the injector harness...

I'm really starting to believe your issue is one of two places.. either centric to the relay/fuse panel, or on the injector connectors themselves- and that the wallow effect is causing intermittent loss of integrity.. but dang, all of them? weird..

btw- those are stock 22# red injectors.. ev6, and match the OE harness with no goofy adapters.. oh well, it was a long shot anyway..

edit: the AA code is failure to receive PCM message, but could be because you've been swapping them around.. the a3 'battery voltage open' is interesting, but it doesn't pertain to what we're talking about.. like I said, I was just interested to see if something was whacky with anything electrical on the same circuit as the injector harness..

Last edited by drewactual; 05-29-2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:13 PM
w1ck3tt
Rookie

Ok, this is crazy. I swear several weeks ago I could get up to speed in the ram, even though getting those injector codes. It ran fine. I've taken the new ecm out to ship back for a replacement, and I put the old back in and thougth I'd take her out for a drive. I can barely hit 40mph, with either computer. Heres my thought...could the cat be clogged, causing some back pressure, keeping it from having power, and possibly throwing my injector codes? I know its a long shot, but what do you think? I am toying with dropping it off in the am to have a new cat put on, but I just dont know. I have not pulled the upper o2 off to see if that helps or not. Also, the other reason I think that may be bad is the temp directly in front of the cat is extremely hot, and behind it is'nt nearly as hot. I don't have a temp sensor to know for sure, but just by feeling, well, I can tell!

Old 05-31-2011, 08:56 PM
w1ck3tt
Rookie

Ok, probly should add that in park, at idle, I can rev it up just fine, and it will go to about 4500 and sorta bounce back and forth right there (governor, or possibly limp mode since engine light is on????) Also, water does come out exhaust, exhaust is extremely hot, and I tried the dollar trick...it does sometimes suck back, not consistently though. The exhaust does NOT smell eggy, but maybe slightly sulfury, quite possibly gassy(fuel smell).

Last edited by w1ck3tt; 05-31-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:03 PM
drewactual
Champion

only way to tell for sure is to pull the front o2 sensor and see if it helps..

you say it revs when it's NOT under load? That doesn't speak of fouled injectors or clogged fuel rails..

Old 05-31-2011, 09:33 PM
w1ck3tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by drewactual
only way to tell for sure is to pull the front o2 sensor and see if it helps..

you say it revs when it's NOT under load? That doesn't speak of fouled injectors or clogged fuel rails..

Right, I think the injector issue is a misreading fromthe computer, since the new computer resolves that issue (just no gauges with the new computer)

The truck revs when NOT under load just fine, appearantly anyways..... just cant get any power while driving down the road.

Quick Reply: 5.9 magnum CEL P0201-P0208 help...