2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

5.9 magnum CEL P0201-P0208 help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 05:29 PM
w1ck3tt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9 magnum CEL P0201-P0208 help...

Ok, I have been working on this problem for more than 2 weeks now. Truck is an 03 ram 1500 with the 5.9 magnum. The truck was doing this when I purchased it, and it is preventing me from passing inspection and getting it tagged. When you read the codes from the dash, it always starts at P0203, then 0202, 0201, 0204, 0205, 0206, 0207, 0208. I have cleared the codes with an obd2 scanner, and by leaving batter unplugged. It always comes back in that order. The truck appears to run just fine, no issues with misfiring, etc.

I have replaced the TPS sensor as others said that has fixed there issues. I have ohm'd out the injectors, and they all read at 1.9 ohms if I'm reading it correctly. I have been going thru the harness and have not found any broken/nicked wires, yet... Now I'm leaning towards the computer. Are there any other things I can try before trying to find another computer to test it with? I'm at a loss otherwise, and have googled to death anything I can think of regarding this issue.

If it is computer, I have found a place called AutoComputerExchange.com that has one for $237.15, they program it according to VIN and update with all the latest chrysler updates. Does anyone have a better vendor or advice on where to go if that is the case....Money IS an issue!

Old 05-10-2011, 11:48 AM
w1ck3tt
Rookie

Well, I realized something might be wrong with my old meter, so I got another and re checked the injectors, and they all read out at .015 ohms. So, i'm guessint those are not my problem. My next question is, how do I read out the injector harness. I don't physically see any damage in the harness, but I thought I'd check the resistance on all the injector wires and see what that says. Anyone know how to do that? I understand I put one lead of the meter on the injector end, and one on the end that plugs in the ecm, on the right pin of course, but how do I know if that line is good...will the resistance be high, or should it be high?

I'm still thinking its the computer, as if it were lines, all the lines would have to be damaged, right? If they were, then thered be more stuff malfunctioning I'd think, and everything in the truck works without issues...truck even runs like a top!

I appreciate any help/insight anyone can provide! Thanks!!!

Old 05-10-2011, 12:40 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Because you have the 5.9 (although in a 3rd Gen body) and getting no help, I will move this over to the 2nd Genners and see if we can get some help from them on it. Hopefully they will be kind to us

Old 05-10-2011, 01:09 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

make sure you have your injector clips on tight.. they should have the little clips on top of them but sometimes folks take them off.. there is a good chance somebody had your intake manifold off to fix the plenum, and likely didn't seat the clips good.. that would be the first place i looked..

Old 05-10-2011, 04:52 PM
w1ck3tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Because you have the 5.9 (although in a 3rd Gen body) and getting no help, I will move this over to the 2nd Genners and see if we can get some help from them on it. Hopefully they will be kind to us
Thank you sir! i appreciate the push in the right direction...

Originally Posted by drewactual
make sure you have your injector clips on tight.. they should have the little clips on top of them but sometimes folks take them off.. there is a good chance somebody had your intake manifold off to fix the plenum, and likely didn't seat the clips good.. that would be the first place i looked..
You mean the red clips you have to pop up before you can unplug the injectors? Those are in perfect condition, and appear to work properly. I will check them once again to be sure. I had actually tried to remove the injectors yesterday, but those things are stuck in there! I reattached everything after checking the resistance on the injectors again to be sure I'd get the same reading.

I read another post for a guy with a caravan having problems with the ASD relay? He was'nt getting a proper ground on it, I was going to check that out and see if the ground was good there, not even sure if that would cause my problem or not.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:50 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Might also want to look at the the connectors at the PCM........ those are all control circuit codes.... seeing as you are getting them for ALL of your injectors....... I think grabbing the appropriate wiring diagram, and hand verifying ALL circuits by tracing them from both ends would be a good idea.

If everything else looks good, probably a failing PCM.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:12 AM
w1ck3tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Might also want to look at the the connectors at the PCM........ those are all control circuit codes.... seeing as you are getting them for ALL of your injectors....... I think grabbing the appropriate wiring diagram, and hand verifying ALL circuits by tracing them from both ends would be a good idea.

If everything else looks good, probably a failing PCM.

Connectors are in good shape, made sure they are plugged in properly as well. I will start checking each individual injector wire to pcm connector this weekend, once I find a diagram of whic wire=which pin.

Old 05-11-2011, 11:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

There is an 01 service manual available for download in the faq section here. I don't know how close that would be to yours though......

Old 05-14-2011, 03:56 PM
w1ck3tt
Rookie

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There is an 01 service manual available for download in the faq section here. I don't know how close that would be to yours though......

I just read that a broken or failing valve spring can cause open circuit injector issues???

Old 05-14-2011, 03:57 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Would also give you a dead miss......

Quick Reply: 5.9 magnum CEL P0201-P0208 help...