2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Axle Nut from Hell

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 05:26 PM
thunderz
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wilfite
It sits there...waiting. It's dark, rusty sheen innocently belying it's true, malevolent secret. Its dogged determination to defy Newton's first law and the cornerstone of the study of physics....Regardless of the force applied, it DOESN'T FRIGGING MOVE!!!!!!

I've broken two wrenches on it so far. My most recent attempt was a 6 foot long 3/4" diameter black pipe over a 3/4" socket 18" sliding breaker bar with the wheel on the ground for resistance. Torque=Lever Arm * Force, so 220 lbs * 6' = 1320 ft*lbs of force and....I BENT THE &&*#&@@!@#^ PIPE!!!!!!

I checked the threads, it's a right-handed thread and I'm trying to turn it the right way. I've tried WD40, PB blaster and some stuff NAPA recommended called Freeze Off (or something similar).

How the heck to I get this thing off the truck?! When driving, the wheel is making a pulsing, grinding sound in time with the turning of the wheel and I'm kinda afraid to drive it anywhere for fear the bearing will finally give up and I'll be sans a wheel on the road. Certainly not the preferred method of wheel and bearing removal...

My wife needs her car this week. I've got to get the hub changed and after spending over 1000.00 bucks on parts this month I'm pretty much out of cash. I'm open for any ideas here, guys...

Thanks
So is the drivers side nut a reverse thread?

Old 05-20-2011, 06:36 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderz
So is the drivers side nut a reverse thread?
my 01 was not reverse thread. both sides were standard. the nuts did have dimples that had to be tapped out.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:40 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by thunderz
I have to do this replacement on my truck. What is the axle nut size?
1-11/16. autozone's and advance's don't have it. harbor freight does, but its a 1/2 drive cheapo for about $8. it might/might not break.

some people find them at sears but my sears didn't have it. sears is not cheap either. i ended up getting mine at my local napa. damn thing was about $27 and is 3/4 drive.

tractor supply has it.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:48 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$6 at Tractor Supply.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:36 AM
thunderz
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sheriff420
$6 at Tractor Supply.

OK got the socket, but not sure if the drivers side is reverse thread. Was your 2000?

Old 05-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Murphy 1112
Rookie

My 01 driver side was a standard thread. There is enough exposed thread to see what direction the threads go.

Mine wasn't that bad, gave me a reason to go out and buy a 3/4" drive ratchet, lol. I used that ratchet which is approx 20" long and a 3' snipe. I had a 3' wrecking bar that I used to hold the hub in place. Set up the ratchet so that I could step on it and use my body weight and that was enough to break it free.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine were standard threads.
Look at the threads to see if they're reverse or not.
Looking at the end of the stub shaft you'll see that one of the threads will be closer to you on the left side of the stub and that same thread will be closer to the truck on the right side of the stub if they're standard.

When I took mine off I didn't have a bit of fuss getting it loose.
I sprayed the nut with CRC Knock'er Loose in the morning and that afternoon I went back out there, gave it another shot and it broke free just as my humungoloid muscles started to flex (ha!).
I've been told that CRC Freezeoff has the same ingredients as Knock'er Loose but it has the additional freezing ingredient in it. Knock'er Loose is my preferred penetrating fluid because it works like a charm every time I use it.
Any pry bar that fits in the vanes of the rotor will hold it still while you crack the nut loose, here's my setup. That's my $6 3/4" drive socket and $15 3/4" breaker bar from Tractor Supply.

Last edited by Sheriff420; 05-21-2011 at 12:18 PM.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:50 AM
wilfite
Rookie

Looks like y'all got it

The nut is 43mm, but that's hard to find so 1 11/16 12 pt works a charm. I got mine from Napa, along with a 3/4 sliding "T" breaker bar. The thread is standard and 4x4 has no dimple.

Once I got the nut off, the rest went easy as pie. I was extremely liberal with anti-seize so there shouldn't be any trouble next time. I found the easiest way to get the old hub off was to unthread the bolts then put them back in a few threads with a deep socket over the head and against the U-joint bracket. Turn the wheel and use the power steering to break loose the hub. You'll need to do this on both the front and back bolts. After that you should be able to pull the hub right off.

Old 05-27-2011, 05:22 PM
bcertain
Amateur

I agree with Ron333, cut it off. Had this happen on a friends truck. Cut a few grooves through it with a grinding wheel then chiseled it off. Used a dye to recut and clean the threads and obviously used a new nut. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Axle Nut from Hell