2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A/C temp starts out fine then heats up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 01:09 AM
adrenaline junky
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C temp starts out fine then heats up?

I have a 2001 5.9, 4x4 quad cab with an A/C issue. When I first turn it on it will blow nice and cool. Over time (and it varies) the air coming out of the vents will start to heat up until there is no A/C blowing, just stale cabin temp air. I will turn it off for a while, try it again later and get the same results. A/C and then warms up.....

I was thinking the blend door was maybe the issue since I relpaced the broken part with a heater treater metal replacement. But when I checked all was tight and functioning properly.

Any thoughts before we get into the summer heat?

Thanks,
Mike

Old 05-10-2011, 01:30 AM
wilfite
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like you may have a leak. Low R134 pressure will cause the AC to warm up as the engine gets warmer and it has more heat to fight. You could try re-charging the system and see if that helps. If that's not it you probably have a problem with the compressor. If the blend door was stuck you'd have constant symptoms.

Regards,

Quick Reply: A/C temp starts out fine then heats up?