2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hit and Run

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:51 AM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hit and Run

I was hit by a kid in a Mustang whom was street racing another Mustang on the way home from the track last Saturday at 1:30 am. Ram was banged up, Dakota was on a trailer and was untouched.

The 98 Ram did it's job, we were basically unhurt, and I was able to drive it home...But I need parts. Since it was a hit and run, the repair is on my bill.

I found a passenger door for 50.00 but I still need:

Passenger front fender
Front bumper/rear bumper
Rear quarter panel
Passenger side tail light

I've done body work in the past, and can paint so that part is covered. But I've looked around for bumpers...Fat chance. Who makes the best aftermarket bumpers?

And yeah...I've got the info posted up on all the local car forums. I'll find him. Guess this isn't his first hit and run according to tips I've received.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:04 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck dude.. Man, I'd be out hunting if I were you.. that kind of crap drives me crazy..

as far as bumpers, you're in the part of the world that is all about some fabricated tube bumpers.. Or, at least, in Texas it seems to be popular.. Danged if I wouldn't go that route!

Old 05-10-2011, 09:17 AM
dodgeramit_10
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to build a bumper out of 3/16 metal. The only problem with building a bumper is that you build it tougher then the frame and your frame is going to twist. The stock bumper is there for give, Said that search around on pavement sucks if you want some good ideas.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:22 AM
Adobedude
All Star

For the reason mentioned, I don't want a fabbed bumper.

Can anyone here run a plate number...A black Mustang GT (what hit us) has just popped up with fresh damage.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:29 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Police report filed?

Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 AM
Adobedude
All Star

Nope....Cops never showed up, we waited 45 minutes. By then it was after 2:00am.

I talked to a cop the next day....He said there is not time frame, I have a witness. But if I file a police report it goes straight to my Insurance, ___________, my witness just happened to be a ____________ agent...I have 4 vehicles with __________and two life Insurance Policies.

It gets complicated from this point on.

Old 05-10-2011, 12:07 PM
dsertdog56
Record Breaker

Life is hard, then ya die.

I guess it depends on perspective. I guess I don't understand that even if a report goes to your insurance why you still have to file a claim. I filed many a report yet fixed my own vehicle on my dime. You get screwed either way but at least it's your truck.

OR... Is it more complicated if mustang boy street races again and ends up killing someone, maybe one of your friends. Then you're at the funeral and /or benefit race trying to get closure. If douchetard loses his license, car, and spends some time in the pokey maybe he'll grow up a bit. My guess is he doesn't have insurance either. So he needs to learn a harsh lesson.

It's your opportunity to do right, or do nothing. Silence is colusion. (sp)

Old 05-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Novarider
Captain

Have you checked junk yards and pull a part places for the bumper? Maybe ebay? Were you in the truck when it got hit?

Old 05-10-2011, 01:14 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your looking for just stock replacement see if there is a certifit store close by, pretty damn cheap and decent aftermarket quality

Old 05-10-2011, 01:24 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

you should report it to your insurance company that you where hit even though it was not your fault and you plan on paying out of your own pocket to fix it. its not like your insurance will go up. it was not your fault.