2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The time has come for GEARS.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 05:43 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

fwiw- I did motive 4.56's and had local install on both axles..

I went through about five shops before I found one who could tell me verbatim what needed to be done for install, and then reeled out the break in procedures.. he said 'well, I'll hafta take em out an put em in several times, but they will be right'.. I was sold.. the others didn't wanna talk about the procedures which told me they would be following a manual, which spoke of inexperience..

I'm thinking you would be well served to do something similar..

Old 05-10-2011, 05:53 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Completeoffroad.com sells there package deal for 556. It's both Yukon gear sets and install kits. I too say go with 4.88's.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 PM
seabass202
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

X2 for completeoffroad.com, I am a huge fan..

Old 05-10-2011, 07:49 PM
Kwdog75
Professional

Originally Posted by seabass202
x3 Very good price!

Old 05-10-2011, 11:17 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

I would call and make sure that package includes Master install kits. At that price, I doubt it. You'll need a Master Kit for each axle with Timken bearings, no minor kit will work well. You don't want to be redoing this later and paying labor all over again. It says the gears are Yukon, doesn't say anything about the install kits that I can find other than there is a kit included.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:34 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

I just got mine from them, they are Yukon gears and Yukon master install kits.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:37 PM
a-master
Veteran

Originally Posted by Kwdog75
x3 Very good price!
Originally Posted by seabass202
Originally Posted by 97tn4x4
Completeoffroad.com sells there package deal for 556. It's both Yukon gear sets and install kits. I too say go with 4.88's.
SOLD. Haha.

Originally Posted by jasonw
I would call and make sure that package includes Master install kits. At that price, I doubt it. You'll need a Master Kit for each axle with Timken bearings, no minor kit will work well. You don't want to be redoing this later and paying labor all over again. It says the gears are Yukon, doesn't say anything about the install kits that I can find other than there is a kit included.
An email is in route.

Originally Posted by HeyYou
4.88s with 38 inch tires will keep your rpms pretty close to where they were with the stock tires/gears. 4.56 is going to keep your RPMs lower, and you are going to sacrifice low end grunt with those tires.

4.88s really are the better choice.
After using an RPM calc, and seeing your experience while lurking for a bit, I think I might reconsider... don't wanna do it and wish I did it over ya kno?

Old 05-11-2011, 12:17 AM
ClubCab5.9
Professional

Nice looking truck you have there. Bds looks like a nice kit but how you get 6" out of it? Looking at there kit and i cant find a 6" lift at all think that would be perfect height. Can you point me in the right direction? Could you put a few pics of your suspension. Like to see how all the brackets and such going to work. With everyone else 4.88 and a locker. One wheel peel defeats the purpose of low gears.

Old 05-11-2011, 01:39 AM
a-master
Veteran

Originally Posted by ClubCab5.9
Nice looking truck you have there. Bds looks like a nice kit but how you get 6" out of it? Looking at there kit and i cant find a 6" lift at all think that would be perfect height. Can you point me in the right direction? Could you put a few pics of your suspension. Like to see how all the brackets and such going to work. With everyone else 4.88 and a locker. One wheel peel defeats the purpose of low gears.
I'll take some pic's tmrw. The kit I have is ancient, so I'm not sure what luck you will have finding it. I crushed a shock from the stabilizing kit that was bought the same time, and BDS doesn't make it anymore. How do I know? I ran the part number on eBay and craigslist, I called my local parts house, tried Google, and called BDS and got transfered four times until they finally told me they discontinued the product. Terrible. Now I'm driving around with one stabilizer.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:35 AM
ClubCab5.9
Professional

Originally Posted by a-master
I'll take some pic's tmrw. The kit I have is ancient, so I'm not sure what luck you will have finding it. I crushed a shock from the stabilizing kit that was bought the same time, and BDS doesn't make it anymore. How do I know? I ran the part number on eBay and craigslist, I called my local parts house, tried Google, and called BDS and got transfered four times until they finally told me they discontinued the product. Terrible. Now I'm driving around with one stabilizer.
TMRW has come and gone.

Quick Reply: The time has come for GEARS.