2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

The time has come for GEARS.

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 10:47 AM
a-master
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ClubCab5.9
TMRW has come and gone.
My bad lol.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:43 PM
Mpi360
Banned

Rear looking very scary. Stacking blocks with to short of ubolts. Dangerous to say the least.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:33 PM
a-master
Veteran

Originally Posted by Mpi360
Rear looking very scary. Stacking blocks with to short of ubolts. Dangerous to say the least.
Lift was done 5 years ago now, by a VERY reputable shop named Pungo Offroad. Its been through hell and back, and its never let me down in sticky situations. Shaky as she looks, its never even hinted at dying.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:34 AM
Lone136
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your rear end looks just like the one I HAD in my truck. I would keep a eye on the leaf springs. Where the block and spring meat they can crack. Both of mine were cracked, so I got 4 inch lift leafs spring and reinstalled one of the blocks. The ride is so much better now.

AS for the gears, I'm looking at the 456's. I only have 35's on my truck. WE have a shop have I have talked to over the past few days and he is thinking he can get me a better beal on the gears, but only time will tell. HE said he would know today. By the way nice truck you have there

Old 05-20-2011, 04:02 PM
hydrashocker
Hall Of Fame
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Is that one of the rear brake proportioning units (for more fluid to the rear wheels during loaded stops) on the brake line splitter?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:24 PM
Carl2206
Banned

Originally Posted by a-master
Lift was done 5 years ago now, by a VERY reputable shop named Pungo Offroad. Its been through hell and back, and its never let me down in sticky situations. Shaky as she looks, its never even hinted at dying.
THX for letting me know who NOT to take my truck to cuz thats a huge fail stacking em like that..

Old 05-20-2011, 10:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Carl2206
THX for letting me know who NOT to take my truck to cuz thats a huge fail stacking em like that..
While I tend to agree with you...... seems ALL the lift companies that do blocks for our trucks, do the exact same thing....... I think they installed the blocks in the wrong order though, as the current location of the bump stop will let the axle compress another three to four inches up into the truck, which, I suspect, would allow the tire to make contact with things it shouldn't. There are a rather large number of trucks out on the road today, with blocks stacked in just such a manner..... If it were truly a safety hazard, I think we would have hear more about it by now..... after all, the last of our trucks rolled off the assembly line 10 years ago....

I don't care for stacking blocks though. Gives the axle WAY to much leverage on the springs.......

Old 05-21-2011, 01:01 AM
a-master
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
While I tend to agree with you...... seems ALL the lift companies that do blocks for our trucks, do the exact same thing....... I think they installed the blocks in the wrong order though, as the current location of the bump stop will let the axle compress another three to four inches up into the truck, which, I suspect, would allow the tire to make contact with things it shouldn't. There are a rather large number of trucks out on the road today, with blocks stacked in just such a manner..... If it were truly a safety hazard, I think we would have hear more about it by now..... after all, the last of our trucks rolled off the assembly line 10 years ago....

I don't care for stacking blocks though. Gives the axle WAY to much leverage on the springs.......
I think they get such a bad rep. because people do it themselves, in a "yep that'll do 'er" kinda way, then bad mouth it when it fails. Like I said, I beat the crap out of my truck, and it it were going to fail, it would have already.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:17 AM
ClubCab5.9
Professional

Thank for the pic's. Been looking for a 4-6" lift and weighing my options. Looks to be a 3" coil lift with a 3" spacer to get you 6". Why i wont be stacking the blocks thats your choice but some state do not allow lift blocks or x amount of lift block over factory. Check your states. This is why 99% of the lifts offered come with a add a leaf/full leaf pack and if it does come with a block it is supposed to replace the factory block and not be stacked. Or a combo of both add a leaf/full leaf pack and a replacement block typically in the 4-5" range. Are the manufacture trying to tell us something here about lift block's? Looking at Skyjacker they dont include a block in any kit that i know of and 99% of the 3" lifts out there include a add a leaf. This would suggest that the many trucks running around with stacked block's wasnt from the manufacture but rather the owner try to achieve the desired lift.

Last edited by ClubCab5.9; 05-21-2011 at 03:19 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:36 AM
neilsrpcustoms
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's several bad things about doubling blocks,1st and foremost,is u-bolt failure. 2nd is the leverage added during side loading due to cornering,and 3rd is the tremendous amount of axle wrap that is gained,again due to leverage.

I never reccomend aftermarket blocks, due to them being aluminium. you may have been lucky so far,but it is like sitting on a time bomb either way.

Quick Reply: The time has come for GEARS.