2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenum Repair now no spark

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 02:02 PM
bigo93bronco
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Plenum Repair now no spark

I just did the plenum repair/upgrade, and everything went pretty smoothly. I went to start the truck back up for the first time and it turns over and over but won't fire. I have a stable 35psi of fuel pressure at the test port. I double-checked all connections and vacuum lines, and everything is connected as it was prior to the project (took lots of pics). I hooked my timing light up to the number 1 plug and turned her over and got no flashes. I hooked it to the wire from the coil and still got nothing. I checked the primary and secondary resistance on the coil, and they are both in specs. I then chaecked for voltage between the two wires feeding the coil while a friend cranked the engine....nothing. I am new to working with Dodges, is there anything I might have overlooked? All fuses in both boxes are good. I also tried resesting the factory anti-theft device several times without any success. I replaced the cap and rotor while it was easy to get to, and everything is back as it was. Any suggestions?

1995 1500 3.9 v6
2WD Auto

Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

check the wire that plugs into the bottom of the coil.. it's easy to forget as it's out of sight.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:39 PM
bigo93bronco
Rookie

It was plugged in, but I tested it for voltage while cranking the engine and I get nothing....fuses are all good. Whatever i'm looking for is preventing power from getting to the coil.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:42 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

uh-oh... did you pull the negative cable when you did your work?

Old 05-10-2011, 03:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Check that you didn't pinch the cam position sensor wires (from the distributor) when you reinstalled the intake.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:58 PM
bigo93bronco
Rookie

I did remove the negative cable before I started the tear down. I was very careful to pinch any wires when I reinstalled the manifold. Is the camshaft position harness the one that is three wires laid flat side-by-side (all black)? If so, it is connected and undamaged. I've checked and rechecked the dizzy and wires and everything is connected correctly. I also verified that all the grounds got reconnected.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:02 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stop -- take a deep breath, and walk away from the truck. Drink a beer, eat a sammich, and watch something completely mind-numbing on TV for about an hour. Once you've done that, go back to the truck and completely retrace your steps from start to finish on each electrical connection. Whenever something like this happens, it's all due to something I call "really stupid", meaning it's something that was very easily overlooked. Don't be afraid to disconnect and reconnect an electrical connection. Sometimes, we don't think that just because it appears a wire is in place does not mean it is properly seated.

Old 05-10-2011, 04:02 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Does the fuel pump run when you first turn the key on?

Old 05-10-2011, 04:14 PM
bigo93bronco
Rookie

Yes the fuel pump runs when I turn the key to RUN. I have a stable 35psi of fuel pressure at the test port on the fuel rail too. I gave up on it yesterday and took a breather after I couldn't figure it out. I got up earlly today and compared everything to the pictures I took before and during the teardown...everything is the same. I've tried unplugging and reconnected the major sensors like: MAP, TPS, Cam position, etc.

Here are some of the other things I did while I had the manifold off:

Replaced the (2) pin ECT sensor on the front of the manifold (it was falling apart)

Replaced the oil pressure sending unit on the back (beside the dizzy)

Replaced cap and rotor (rotor went ack on in same orientation, wires are correct)

Replaced valve cover gaskets....not that that could do anything

Old 05-10-2011, 04:17 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you getting spark from the coil?

Quick Reply: Plenum Repair now no spark