2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weak transmissions ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:37 PM
AZJOE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weak transmissions ???

I see so many posts about transmission problems. Are these transmissions that troublesome ?? I was going to set my truck up to tow a car trailer (7000 pounds) but I am having second thoughts because of all the posts about problems with the 46RE.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:46 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,392 Likes on 3,132 Posts

These transmissions have a couple weak points. The torque converter, and the overdrive unit. Towing that kind of weight, I would go thru the trans, and do some upgrades along the way. There is a nice list on page six of montec's trans thread in the faq section, that he put up for another member wanting to do the same thing. Other things that you will want to do include, but are not limited to:

get rid of the check valve in the trans cooler line up by radiator.
larger aux cooler.
external trans filter.
trans temp gauge.

The rest would be internal to the trans.

Old 05-12-2011, 10:21 PM
AZJOE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weak

Removed check valve today. Also new fluid, filter, Magnet installed and torque converter flushed. Inside pan was really clean with almost no metal in it. Transmission guy says nothing to be afraid of. so now just need to install timbrens and start towing with it. My problem is I read all these posts about tranny problems and I get paranoid !!

Old 05-12-2011, 10:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,392 Likes on 3,132 Posts

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean the whole world ISN'T out to get you.......

Old 05-12-2011, 10:41 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

7000 lbs is the "safe" towing limit for these 1500s. Keep O/D off, and from the sound of it you should be fine. Timbrens are almost never a bad idea.

Quick Reply: Weak transmissions ???