2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rpm's jumping need help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:44 PM
bigreed91
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rpm's jumping need help!

(i already posted this in the dakota section but just tryin to get as much help as possible since a lot of yall probley have the same motor, 5.9L automatic)
So my abs and brake light had been coming on so i was told to replace the speed sensor, did it. Weird thing though when the lights didnt come on id have random rpm jumping like the tps was bad. Well after replaceing the speed sensor i went ahead and put in a new tps yesterday. Well, i'll use today as an example, on my way to work my abs and brake light came on plus my rpms are still jumping randomly! On my way back from work the lights didnt come on but still had jumping rpm's. So now im worried either my tranny is randomly slipping or my map sensor is randomly telling my ecu to give it more gas due to my plenum gasket being bad (i checked it yesterday with the throttle body off and could see oil residue). So i guess i actually have a brake issue somewhere but im mostly concerned with the other problem. Also i checked my tranny fluid and it has about an inch and a half to much on the dip stick so i need to drain some out but could that have anything to do with it? Please help and thanks

Old 05-10-2011, 07:49 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Check your trans fluid in neutral, you won't get an accurate reading in park.

How much, and how often, does your RPM's jump?

Old 05-10-2011, 07:55 PM
bigreed91
Veteran

it jumps mostly while accelerating probley in about 2nd or 3rd but also while at a steady speed in od. and like i said its random so usually after a couple miles or so.Im also starting to think (but hopefully it isnt) that my torque converter could be goin bad? Only reason i think its tranny or tc related is when it jumps you dont feel it in the truck as if the speeds changeing you just see it on the tach and hear it

Old 05-10-2011, 07:59 PM
bigreed91
Veteran

i guess it could be karma out to get me to since i used to say id never get a second gen ram because everyone i knew that had one either needed to or already had their transmissions replaced, and what did i do? bought a dakota with the same motor and tranny they had. lol

Old 05-10-2011, 08:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

If it only did it in third, or O/D, I would be thinking tcc solenoid, or possibly torque converter, but, if it does it in second as well...... no tcc in second gear that I am aware of.

How many miles on the truck?

Old 05-10-2011, 08:22 PM
bigreed91
Veteran

it has about 105,000. Also i dont know if this is related or not but just read about it on a ford forum for failing tc symptoms. But when my truck has been sitting a while and i take off it will shudder a lil bit at low rpms while accelerating, usually goes away after about a block though. I always thought it was just from being cold but maybe not, its been sitting for 2 hours now so im gonna go run down the road and get back to ya on that.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:00 PM
bigreed91
Veteran

well after driving just driving it i went around the block, didnt happen, so i jumped on the highway and it did it in 4th twice at 2300 and 2400 rpms then while turning around it did it at about 1500 rpms in 3rd never in first or second. And that was driving a total of about 10 miles and the 2 times in 4th were one after another

Old 05-10-2011, 09:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

could be the TCC solenoid in the trans then. (since you already replaced the TPS? might wanna test it anyway....... not like I have never gotten a bad "new" part....)

Old 05-10-2011, 09:24 PM
bigreed91
Veteran

true, im guessing you mean check it with a volt meter? do you know what it should be reading? Also i checked my fluid with it in neutral and you wer right its good

Old 05-10-2011, 09:28 PM
bigreed91
Veteran

also where is the tcc in the tranny? and im gonna go ahead and change the fluid and filter once i get home (which is unfortunetly 700 miles away) and im gonna check the governor pressure sensor and solenoid to see if i need to clean em out if i can

Quick Reply: rpm's jumping need help!