2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No oil pressure :( help

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 08:07 PM
rumble_truck
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No oil pressure :( help

Well, one day I did my plenum, since then my oil pressure gauge acts as a tach and only registers over 2.5k, replaced the oil pressure switch on top of the block. Still had the issue and was certain that is was a bad oil pump i decided to embark on replacing the pump this morning.

It's about 8pm and I'm completely stumpted, I put everything back on, replaced my pickup screen, put in a high volume oil pump, did rear main seals. And still, it had no oil pressure, knocks, and when you unscrew the switch at the back of the motor it doesn't squirt oil (i assume it should) any ideas on my next step? I did prime it too...

Old 05-10-2011, 08:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,276 Likes on 3,023 Posts

Ruh Roh Roerge. That is NOT a good sign. Did you have good pressure before the plenum fix.? Was it really cruddy under the intake?

Old 05-10-2011, 09:04 PM
rumble_truck
Veteran

Before the plenum, oil pressure was good. And there was enough sludge to make ball the size of a grapefruit

Old 05-10-2011, 09:15 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Hhhhmmm......

I hate to suggest this... but....

Turn the engine so that number one cylinder is in firing position. Pull the distributor cap, and mark where the rotor is pointing, and also put index marks on the base of the dist, and the block. (so you can install it in the same spot....) pull the distributor, and CAREFULLY note what direction the slot in the drive gear is pointing. Remove the drive gear........ Take the drive gear to wherever they sell steel rods of various shapes. (metal supply store, or some such.....) get one that is long enough to reach the oil pump, but, leave enough room to attach a drill to the end of it. ( not a lot of space to play with back in there.... also might be able to find an oil pump priming tool at the parts store... might be easier, but, more expensive.) Put your priming tool into the oil pump, and attach your drill, needs to turn clockwise.... spin the oil pump, and see if you can get any pressure. If you can't, drop the pan again, and make sure the pickup tube is screwed into the pump tight, and is not blocked by something... (like a rag.... don't ask...)

Old 05-10-2011, 11:10 PM
rumble_truck
Veteran

I read that acouple times today on various searches, ill give it a wing tomorrow when i can get to store that sells metal stock.

How do you mark the distributor if you cant see it? besides using a mirror, would you have to take the intake off?

Old 05-10-2011, 11:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Lay a board (plywood...) across the throttle body, (cover it with a rag first) with the air box and such removed. Lay on that, and you can sorta see down in there. A mirror certainly wouldn't hurt.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:18 PM
rumble_truck
Veteran

Well i dropped the pan just now, took the cover off the pump and oil came out , cranked the motor a few revoluions and the pumps rotors turned, so its not a priming issue or spinning issue, its just not delivering oil.

Any ideas guys?

Old 05-11-2011, 08:31 PM
matty675
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not good, sounds like a good amount of blockage in a main oil passage

Old 05-11-2011, 08:52 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Grab the oil pump priming tool, and do it the hard way. You might be able to push thru the blockage. (and then change the oil, and clean out the pan.....)

Old 05-11-2011, 08:53 PM
BIGBIRD85
Veteran

ok about 8 years ago i did a engine flush. i poured about 2 gallons of kerosene into the engine and ran it for several minutes. then i dropped the oil pan and OMG!!! i got all kind of sludge in the pan. i cleaned out the pan and replaced the pan and added my oil and new filter and took off down the road. when the truck got hot i lost oil pressure at idle. as long as i keept it around 1500 or higher i had oil pressure. so i dropped the pan again and found small brass colored slivers of metal. the main bearing were shot. i believe it was the result of the kerosene and flushing out the motor. if you have a lot of sludge and it aint pumping oil then im afraid your in for a rebuild.
when i tore my motor down i had blocked oil passages.

just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: No oil pressure :( help