2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anyone ever had a problem with jiffy lube?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:46 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I could be mistaken, but the Haynes manual, IIRC, has a flushing procedure for you. I believe its also here on the forum.

One minor note... you do not have a 5th gear. What you are thinking is your 4th/5th gears is actually one gear with the torque converter doing its thing.

Old 05-21-2011, 12:39 AM
Josh_Putman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I saw them referred to as Iffy Lube on here somewhere recently. I have never heard a single good thing about them.

Seems like after the stuff on the news programs they would be shut down somehow. If they have been proven to commit fraud, I don't see how they are still in business.

Old 05-21-2011, 01:01 AM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

never get your tranny FLUSHED. Just do a drain and fill. flushing makes bad things happen, like you mentioned.

I drained, filled and replaced my tranny filter with a manual and about 12 quarts of ATF4. It is easy and all you need is a basic tool set and a catch pan. Take off the tranny pan and wait for the niagra falls of tranny fluid.

Old 05-22-2011, 10:19 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You see.. when u drop the pan.. and do the filter.. is only about a 1/3rd of the fluid. And with water.. it needed to be flushed. And with proper fluid.. it doesn't hurt

Old 05-22-2011, 11:25 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by meanwhitemopar
You see.. when u drop the pan.. and do the filter.. is only about a 1/3rd of the fluid. And with water.. it needed to be flushed. And with proper fluid.. it doesn't hurt
Very true. The longer you leave water in your trans, the more your clutch plates will swell up and year apart. Water needs to be removed ASAP.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:55 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 05-22-2011, 03:35 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive worked at 2 jiffy lubes. The first one was in Olivebranch, MS as more of a training type thing for running the floor but I was an oil tech, WTF? Anyway that wasn't a bad shop at all. Now the one i worked at in Memphis, it was awful. I actually quit because of some the **** that went on there. After I quit I got a letter from jiffy lube saying they were being sued for something and for me to contact them to see if I was going to be a recipient of the law suit.

Old 05-22-2011, 08:10 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

Yea I am going to be trying a few things with them.. if my trans goes messed up.. ill have a new one.. lol

Old 05-22-2011, 08:18 PM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by meanwhitemopar
Well I wish I would have known all this before hand..

But they hooked the lines before the cooler and let the pump pump the stuff out and as it did. It sucked new in.. never even pulled my truck in the bay..

i cant flush the trans by reading a manual or i would.. i do everything else on the truck myself
NEVER flush a Transmission...I don't care who-what-how it's done, it loosens **** up and kills the transmission....Clogs the valve body, at this point...I think it's too late to simply change the fluid again, might be worth a try though.

FYI: When you do a tranny rebuild, your supposed to replace the old cooler and all the lines to prevent anything from contaminating the tranny fluid

From now on, just drop the pan, change the fluid/filter and fill with ATF-4.

Old 05-22-2011, 11:10 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

Ok, been over this, pan drop and filter change gets about 5 quarts out, a full rebuild and fill takes upwards of 15 to 20 quarts depending on the tranny, sorry.. I wanted water out..

Quick Reply: anyone ever had a problem with jiffy lube?