2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

anyone ever had a problem with jiffy lube?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 05:48 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default anyone ever had a problem with jiffy lube?

I had my transmission flushed by jiffy lube and they filled it with their multi vehicle trans fluid.. now my truck don't engage gears or shift outta first and before that, it stopped engaging 5th...

Almost feels like its low fluid but in good on the stick...

Old 05-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Ram_King
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

are you checking it in neutral and running?

Old 05-20-2011, 06:12 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

jiffy lube has been captured on national news shows as running an intentional rip-off to customers. news crews have hired pro mechanics to supply vehicles both with, and without known problems. in numerous cases, and caught on film, they've told customers that known good cars needed repairs, tune-up's, etc. in lot of cases, they then charged the customer for the work - and never actually did the work.

this was verified by film, as well as the marking of the parts by the pro mechanics.

its my opinion that jiffy lube has earned this reputation as a rip-off shop, and that they breed it into all their shops. someone might know of a specific shop or two that's legit and has ethics, but they'll have to prove it to me. i saw 60 minutes or 20/20 or someone visit several shops in several cities, and they were ripped off at every shop.

Old 05-20-2011, 06:38 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Multi-vehicle trans fluid is most likely Dexron/Mercon that they add a friction modifier to simulate ATF+4. They use it because it's cheaper, not because it's better.

It never works, the fluids are too different. You can't make a non synthetic or semi synthetic oil emulate a fully synthetic oil. It's also entirely possible the cheapskates didn't even use the modifier. It sure sounds like they didn't if it's broke down after 1000 miles.

I'm sorry that you are dealing with this, I would press really hard to have them cover some or all of the repairs. I would specifically grab the owners manual and the pages of the field service manual that discuss the fluids that are acceptable and make them prove to you in writing that the fluid they used meets the ATF+4 standard.

The other problem with the service shop flush is that they actually hook the machine up to the dipstick tube and reverse flush the system. That dislodges debris caught in the valve body and transmission internals and rams it into the filter on the clean side, then when you refill it and run the truck in it's normal manner, all the debris that was spread out throughout the transmission in little bits is now in one big clump ready to be sucked right up the pick up tube, but with no filter to catch it.

They do this because it saves labor hours as they don't have to pull the pan and replace the filter.

Old 05-20-2011, 08:00 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

So... how can i fix this problem before it gets worse?

I already had pepetwork started with statments from dealership saying it has to have atf+3 and I want a proper flush with that fluid..

But think a filter change and maybe pull the valve body first?

Old 05-20-2011, 08:20 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by meanwhitemopar
So... how can i fix this problem before it gets worse?

I already had pepetwork started with statments from dealership saying it has to have atf+3 and I want a proper flush with that fluid..

But think a filter change and maybe pull the valve body first?
This time, and from here on out, take your vehicle to a reputable INDEPENDENT transmission shop and not a chain.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:06 PM
Carl2206
Banned

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
This time, and from here on out, take your vehicle to a reputable INDEPENDENT transmission shop and not a chain.
and DIY.

Did they happen to adjust the bands?

Old 05-20-2011, 09:14 PM
grox
Veteran

I've heard from a guy who worked at Jiffy Lube that nobody should ever take their car there. I don't remember why, just the stern warning.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:24 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by grox
I've heard from a guy who worked at Jiffy Lube that nobody should ever take their car there. I don't remember why, just the stern warning.
ive heard on numerous occasions that some of the jiffy's around here have been known to leave vehicles running while doing an oil change..... i will never ever bring any of my vehicles to a shop like jiffy lube!

Old 05-20-2011, 10:37 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

Well I wish I would have known all this before hand..

But they hooked the lines before the cooler and let the pump pump the stuff out and as it did. It sucked new in.. never even pulled my truck in the bay..

i cant flush the trans by reading a manual or i would.. i do everything else on the truck myself

Quick Reply: anyone ever had a problem with jiffy lube?