2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Brake Light Switch, Alternator, EGR Valve??

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 05:31 PM
69 Polara
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Light Switch, Alternator, EGR Valve??

2000 Ram 1500 pick-up.

Okay, got a bad brake light switch. Brake lights stay on. Dead battery. Charge the batt. overnight. Truck starts right up and runs fine for five mins. Then dies. Start her up, she dies at the first stop sign. Bottom line, whenever I let off the gas, she dies.

My mechanic says it sounds like the EGR valve, and is not related to the brake light/battery thing. Maybe, but I'm REAL suspicious of that coincidence. I've had the truck for 11 years and never any problem, and now two things go wrong on exactly the same day, and they are not related?

What do y'all think?

Thanks.

This is my first post, BTW. Gotta go check out your muscle car section.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

You shouldn't even HAVE an EGR valve.....

Try pulling the throttle body, take the IAC valve off the back side, clean the pintle (try not to move it...) and the passages. Reinstall, and see if that doesn't improve its attitude.

Old 05-24-2011, 05:59 PM
69 Polara

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You shouldn't even HAVE an EGR valve.....

Try pulling the throttle body, take the IAC valve off the back side, clean the pintle (try not to move it...) and the passages. Reinstall, and see if that doesn't improve its attitude.
Ah, maybe that's why I couldn't find an EGR valve at Rockauto. I will try what you suggest. Thanks.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:13 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Disconnect the battery while you are playing with it, (that will prompt the PCM to reset, and relearn everything.....) and grab a new TB gasket too, they are only like two bucks.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:24 PM
69 Polara

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Disconnect the battery while you are playing with it, (that will prompt the PCM to reset, and relearn everything.....) and grab a new TB gasket too, they are only like two bucks.
Thanks again. I need all the tips I can get.

Quick Reply: Brake Light Switch, Alternator, EGR Valve??