2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Factory specs wrong?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:45 AM
Josh_Putman
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory specs wrong?

Ok, I have been doing a LOT of reading on here in preparation for my tranny service. One thing I have discovered is that there seems to be some differing opinions of the specs for the band adjustments.

According to the FSM, the front band should be backed off 2 7/8 turns once you torque it to 72 in. lbs.

Now I also read that the Haynes manual says something different, and that the FSM is wrong.

I am REALLY interested in getting this right, as I don't want to have to replace my trans because I FUBAR'ed it.

Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:23 AM
CappinHoff
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In all honesty I would take it to a dodge dealership to have it done properly. Just an option.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:55 AM
neilsrpcustoms
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

72 inch lbs is a correct torque for both bands,and backing off 2 and a half turns and locking the jamb nuts works too. You will notice downshifts afterward,but honestly,you really don't need to adjust the rear band,and as long as you don't feel a mushy 2nd gear,the front band is probably fine as well.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:20 AM
Novarider
Captain

Originally Posted by CappinHoff
In all honesty I would take it to a dodge dealership to have it done properly. Just an option.
Won't they just go by what the fsm says?

Old 05-26-2011, 09:41 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Dealership gets updates on the FSM. If there was one, we may not have it, but, the dealership will.

I would have a read thru MonteC's trans thread, for the proper adjustments.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:52 AM
Josh_Putman
Professional

Thanks for the replies. I have read most of Montec's trans thread, and haven't seen anything yet about specs for the band adjustments. I will have to read further, I guess.

I'm betting if I called the dealership or a trans shop that neither one would be willing to let that kind of info go. It would be cutting into their profits.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,391 Likes on 3,131 Posts

Depends on the dealership. I go up to the GM dealership on a regular basis, and make use of their library.... but, they know me from long ago, when I worked at an independent shop that they cooperated with. (we did a fair bit of their exhaust work, and they did our front end alignment work.....) Even though I haven't worked in the field for years, they are still pretty friendly.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:12 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

What does the hayes say, 2 turns? Personally I'd trust the later fsm over a hayes any day.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:27 AM
dkishton1486
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Depends on the dealership. I go up to the GM dealership on a regular basis, and make use of their library.... but, they know me from long ago, when I worked at an independent shop that they cooperated with. (we did a fair bit of their exhaust work, and they did our front end alignment work.....) Even though I haven't worked in the field for years, they are still pretty friendly.
Awwww thanks all us GM people are nice see lol

Quick Reply: Factory specs wrong?