2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Engine Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 11:29 AM
lazyboy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am well into exactly what you have planned. have almost all the new parts (long block complete) and am in 2k. just an fyi it aint cheap but I think I will have what I want when done. mine is replaceing the 318 so this should be a good step up for me. good luck and dont take any chances with old parts.

doug

Old 06-06-2011, 02:22 AM
FireDodge
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get all new pistons for yours then? I'm still really debating about that part. I know I should, but I don't know if my budget is gonna allow me.

The heads are a touchy subject too. A lot of people tell me that I should just send the current heads to get checked for cracks or warping and then get them port and polished. But then I read on here a lot that the stock heads are crud no matter what. I know a good amount of mechanics who love Dodges, but they're more into the 1st gens. So I'll probably get the $380 Odessa heads off of ebay and possibly look into a mild cam for it. I'd like to only put $1-1.5k into it, but I want to do it right also. But for now I'm going to be looking for an engine to actually work on.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:30 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Whether you HAVE to replace pistons or not largely depends on what condition the cylinders are in. If there is too much taper/out of round, then you will have to bore the block, and that will require new pistons.

In my opinion, spending money on the stock heads is a waste. Even bothering to spend money to have them checked is a waste...... they were a **** poor design from the factory, due to cost cutting measures, etc. Poor quality castings. Just replace them.

Cam is also going to require a custom tune. Hemifever can do ya up for about 365. But, you may also need to invest in a wideband O2 sensor, and data logging equipment, to get it dialed in just right.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:34 PM
FireDodge
Captain

The cam was something I'd want only if the price is right. But I am definately going to get the new heads for it, along with a new timing chain and possibly water pump. I would love for a good jump in performance with what I'm doing. And along with the 4.56's that I plan to get afterwards I'm really excited. Anymore little tid-bits or 2 cents that people have is greatly appreciated! I plan to also get the SCT from Hemifever no matter what also, so that will help also.

And some of my friends asked about my tranny also. When I bought the truck, the owner said that it had been gone through right around 150k miles. So it's only been 30k so far.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:39 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

Its only a hundred bucks more for custom tunes from Hemifever......

Get a cam that matches the RPM range you want the truck to operate in. Give hemi the pertinent information, and he can set ya right up.

Since you are going to have it off anyway, go ahead and put on the new water pump.

Get a good double roller timing set. I was amazed at the difference just replacing the old stock chain made..... it was like a whole new engine. Ran MUCH better.

Along with the Cam, and heads, you are also going to want headers, and a better y-pipe. If you have emissions testing where you are, magnaflow makes a MUCH better flowing y-pipe with a cat. If you don't, jegs or summit both offer an "off road only" Y pipe that has no cat, both bungs for the O2 sensors, and flows great.

New O2 sensors may not be a bad plan either. Go with NTK, or Denso, stay away from Bosch.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:43 PM
matty675
Record Breaker

im not sure why everyone is worried about how a junk yard engine was treated by its PO... its going to be rebuilt, it really doesnt matter.

boring will do nothing for your performance, if you can, simply touch up the walls with a hone.

go with ported 1.92s, they flow are a far better choice for a daily driver.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:13 AM
FireDodge
Captain

HeyYou, thanks for the advice I hadn't thought of the double roller set yet. I'll definately be doing the water pump also and all that jazz. The headers were something that I had been considering for awhile but I just put two and two together when you mentioned it haha. I hadn't thought of those when I decided on this, but that will be really nice to have too.

And Matty675, what's the difference between the 1.92's and the 2.02's? I don't really care if my daily driver has more than it should for a daily, but is there something else I should consider when looking at these heads?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 PM
lazyboy
Rookie

no new pistons in my rebuild. wasnt in my budget. was lucky tho and scored on two donars from craigs list so cherry picked my parts, one had bad crank the other had trashed pistons, neither had good heads (all four cracked). went with odessa there, comp cams for all the valve train. all new gaskets, seals, pumps, gear set and of course nice shiny paint. match port will be this weekend or next.

Old 06-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Moparman59
Rookie
Default While you are in there.

If you are talking about a quality double chain then you must go that little bit more and get the tensioner in there from Mopar. No more slack in chain.

Old 06-09-2011, 11:58 AM
matty675
Record Breaker

2.02s are more for a high RPM build, and will sacrifice you some low end grunt

Quick Reply: New Engine Questions