2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New Engine Questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 07:06 PM
FireDodge
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New Engine Questions

So I'm looking at getting another engine to slowly start to build for my truck. I have a '96 with the 5.9 and either my valve seals or my rings are going out because I'm constantly burning oil. So I decided to look into buying another 5.9 nearby off of craigslist and possibly getting it bored .030 over. I'm going to be talking to several machine shops around here soon and getting their opinions on some things. But the biggest concern I have is the computer problem. Would I have to get the same year engine? Or could I get a newer one, like a 2000, and use it's computer?

Any help, comments, and questions are welcome. I'm not looking for extreme amounts of power, but definately a good jump. I'm not going to do the 408 because this will still be my primary transportation once its done. I understand that gas mileage will probably decrease if I bore it out and such, but some have said that my mileage may increase with a good solid engine instead of my tired old 180k 5.9.

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2011, 07:22 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

What 360 you get doesn't really matter, so long as you use the correct year sensors. Also of note: Your manifold has two temp sensors, one for the gauge in the dash, and one for the PCM. (on either side of the thermostat housing) 98 and newer only have one.

Have you had a look at your plenum yet? If the plenum is blown, you can go thru a LOT of oil in a week. Mine was doing three quarts ever 150 miles or so..... and I wasn't getting a huge blue cloud either....

Old 06-02-2011, 11:23 PM
FireDodge
Captain

I already did the plenum. But unlike you I am getting a huge blue cloud if I let the truck sit for several hours. So instead of just replacing parts that keep wearing down and breaking, I think it would be great to have a nice fresh engine that I don't have to worry about as much.

As for the manifold sensors, I was thinking about getting the hughes airgap so I'll worry about that later. But could I use my 1996 computer with a 2000 engine?

Old 06-02-2011, 11:52 PM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, you just have to use the 96 sensors.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:20 AM
Novarider
Captain

Why not save some money and have your motor rebuilt? If you buy a used motor from someone you never know how they treated it. Plus you wouldn't have the extra cost of another motor. With the money you save maybe you could get a new set of heads or some other performance parts.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:10 AM
FireDodge
Captain

Nova, I originally wanted to do that too, but I've only had the truck for 12k miles, the other 168k I have no idea how it was treated either. And the truck is still my daily driver, and I'd rather not ride my bicycle to work and school everyday while I'm working on my truck's engine. So I'd rather spend the three or four hundred bucks on another complete engine to work on, then I can part out or sell my current engine once we get it swapped and make some money back.

And 97, thanks that make's more sense now.

Old 06-04-2011, 05:56 PM
Moparman59
Rookie

Just a comment on the 408 gas milage. Myself and others have found very little difference in mileage between our 360's and 408's.
The only time the 408 was significantly different was during the first 3 months as I was having trouble keeping my foot out of the new found power!

Old 06-04-2011, 06:32 PM
CappinHoff
Veteran

Originally Posted by FireDodge
So I'm looking at getting another engine to slowly start to build for my truck. I have a '96 with the 5.9 and either my valve seals or my rings are going out because I'm constantly burning oil. So I decided to look into buying another 5.9 nearby off of craigslist and possibly getting it bored .030 over. I'm going to be talking to several machine shops around here soon and getting their opinions on some things. But the biggest concern I have is the computer problem. Would I have to get the same year engine? Or could I get a newer one, like a 2000, and use it's computer?

Any help, comments, and questions are welcome. I'm not looking for extreme amounts of power, but definately a good jump. I'm not going to do the 408 because this will still be my primary transportation once its done. I understand that gas mileage will probably decrease if I bore it out and such, but some have said that my mileage may increase with a good solid engine instead of my tired old 180k 5.9.

Thanks!

I know someone already said it but it makes more sense to rebuild what you have. If you get another engine from craigslist unless new you don't know how they treated it. Meaning you could get something that runs for a bit than throws a rod. You would spend less using your existing engine and rebuilding it.

Old 06-05-2011, 01:08 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Originally Posted by CappinHoff
I know someone already said it but it makes more sense to rebuild what you have. If you get another engine from craigslist unless new you don't know how they treated it. Meaning you could get something that runs for a bit than throws a rod. You would spend less using your existing engine and rebuilding it.

Sure, sounds good and would make sense if he had a second vehicle. This being his daily driver, I side with the OP.

I would rather pitch a couple hundred bucks towards an engine to build on the side than to pull my motor and NOT have a drive-ready means of transportation.

Besides, when he's done building the motor on the side, he could probably sell his current engine to regain some or all of the cost of buying the engine on the side.

If you're worried about a "dud" engine, see if the owner of the used motor will let you pull the oil pan and valve covers off to inspect the condition of the engine. Turn it over a few times by hand, and give it a good look over. If the owner doesn't want you to pull the oil pan or valve covers, keep looking. Obviously, it'd be best if it was on an engine stand.

You could also check out local salvage yards. Some may let you start the engine before you pull it. The challenge here is to find a new arrival to the yard that hasn't been picked apart yet!

-JT

Old 06-05-2011, 04:14 AM
FireDodge
Captain

I've found a guy in my area that is a 2nd Gen enthusiast and buys wounded or dead Rams then parts them out. I contacted him on Saturday and found out that he has a 5.9 from either a 1996, like mine, or a 1997.

As far as rebuilding goes, it won't be a crud job where I just replace a few parts here and there. I plan on getting it down to the actual bare block and getting the cylinder walls at least honed out and getting the pistons and such checked out.

I'm not looking for super high horsepower or anything, but a noticeable jump in power would be nice. I'm mostly working towards a good solid engine that I know won't break down for another 100k+ miles or however long I have the truck.

And to Moparman59, I would actually love to have the 408, but the nice high performance heads, lower end, and cam is going to be a little out of my price range. I was probably going to stick with the stock cam or go with a slightly more aggresive one (depending on the price) and get the Odessa 1.92 or 2.02's off of ebay. Then throw an Airgap on it with a newly modded throttle body. Then finally order the SCT from Hemifever to bring it all together.

Quick Reply: New Engine Questions