2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heater Core or something more???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 01:34 PM
Colby83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heater Core or something more???

The other day when I got in my truck and turned the a/c on, there was a loud noice that came from under the hood. The noice had stopped and I went on about my business. As I was driving down the road I went to turn the air down some and smoke started blowing out of the vents. It stopped as soon as I turned the air off. It only seems to blow smoke out if I change the temp in the truck. Everytime I put the air on though it makes that loud noice.

I did add a can of freon a couple of days before that and hadnt driven the truck since I added the can. Any ideas of what this could be. The smoke had a slight smell to it. I have a 2000 Ram 4X2. Thanks

Old 06-06-2011, 02:06 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

I would be looking at your a/c compressor, and see if that isn't the source of your noise.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Colby83
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I opened the hood and turned the ac on and freon was shooting out of what looks like a fitting that is on the drivers side to the rear of the compressor right infront of the fuel injector rail. I didnt mess with it because I dont know if it can be tightened because of the pressure or if the compressor just needs to be replaced.

Could I have put to much freon in when I was charging it. It wasnt doing this before I charged the system.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Did you just blast some more in there? Or, did you have a gauge?

Sounds like you blew a seal. I don't remember where the lines hook up, but, there is also a safety valve back there that will blow off if pressure gets to high....... don't know if that is a one shot deal or not. One would think that the high pressure switch would disengage the compressor......

In any event, something is blown, and is going to have to be fixed first. If the compressor is howling..... gonna have to replace it anyway.

Quick Reply: Heater Core or something more???