2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

a/c problems and questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 08:57 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation a/c problems and questions

hey guys, got a question for you. well when i bought my truck the a/c compressor was siezed, so i got a used one from a truck at work that a customer had abandoned and was being towed off.

i installed it last summer and didnt have the money to have it properly charged. it had oil in it and was running fine while on the belt.

the other day a friend of mine that works at my local advance does hvac for a living and puleed a vacuum on my a/c system. after he did that he threw a bit of refridgerant in it to check for leaks and what not and brought the pressure up to 70ish psi.

after he did that he had me start the truck and the compressor kicked on for a split second and then made a loud noise and spit a white mist out the front of it(which i can only guess was refridgerant).

so is my compressor toast, or is there something else wrong? i checked all the fuses and relays and they all are good. one suggestions or tips will be greatly sppreciated! thanks guys!

Old 06-06-2011, 09:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Blew the front seal out of the compressor. I don't know if that can be replaced easily or not...... My guess is, there was some moisture in the system, and over the year that it sat idle, things rusted. You would prolly be better off replacing the compressor......

Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Blew the front seal out of the compressor. I don't know if that can be replaced easily or not...... My guess is, there was some moisture in the system, and over the year that it sat idle, things rusted. You would prolly be better off replacing the compressor......
i figured it was something stupid. i found another used one for 60 at one of the local JY's.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:43 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

If the system it is hooked up to still has good pressure, you might be able to get away with that. If that system is empty as well, you might find yourself shopping for another compressor soon.

How much for a new one?

Old 06-06-2011, 09:48 PM
redneck_ram
Champion

Originally Posted by HeyYou
If the system it is hooked up to still has good pressure, you might be able to get away with that. If that system is empty as well, you might find yourself shopping for another compressor soon.

How much for a new one?
a new one is going for around 300 at my local advance 200~ on rock auto. i cant really afford that right now and the one at the JY is already removed from the truck, they have a 90 day warranty on everything they sell, so i will be fine if something happens.

Quick Reply: a/c problems and questions