2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission issue, or something else?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 01:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,396 Likes on 3,136 Posts

They hang on pretty tight. They aren't secured in there at all, other than by a bit of a press fit. They probably rusted up pretty nice......

Old 06-21-2011, 01:16 PM
rideordie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
They hang on pretty tight. They aren't secured in there at all, other than by a bit of a press fit. They probably rusted up pretty nice......
Ok. I'll keep trying.

Worse case scenario, I figured I could use a cut-off wheel and cut a slit in on of the sides, and pull it back away from the plug enough to get the plug out - wouldn't look pretty but would work.

I'll keep pulling. Thanks.

Old 06-21-2011, 11:25 PM
rideordie
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well..After breaking the old spark plug in half, and about 3 hours of taking grinders/screwdrivers/hammers/etc. to the tube, it's done.

There were 3 or 4 divots inside the bottom of the tube, right about the hex nut on the spark plug. Also, after getting the damn tube out, a 5/8 still didn't fit that. A 16mm did (I DID try that beforehand, but the divots stopped me from getting anywhere anyways apparently. That was why I could not get the socket on. I guess somebody had put 1 wrong plug in it somehow.

I quickly realized that, unlike a lot of you guys, our winters had gotten to the tubes..They were GAULDED in there. I started pulling and pulling, and got nowhere. I quickly ended up bending it all out of shape. I ended up having to hammer screwdrivers up against the edges of the tube where it inserts the head, and then twisting. I ended up bumping the spark plug and breaking it in half.

FINALLY got it to come out, after soaking in PB blaster for about another 8 hours, and giving it hell.

My advice to everyone else: If you live somewhere where rust is not a major issue, and you have a problem, rip them all out if you want. If you do live somewhere similar to PA, don't waste your time unless you absolutely had to. I would personally kind of rather rip them all out, but after seeing how miserable it was to do that one, I wouldn't dare touch the other 7.

Quick Reply: Transmission issue, or something else?