2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

best intake manifold upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 11:20 PM
Buck Slayer
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best intake manifold upgrade

Hey guys so my question is, on a 318 as far as the intake manifold goes. What is/who makes a good aftermarket upgrade?

Old 06-18-2011, 11:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Only two choices really, and they are basically the same manifold.... Hughes Air Gap, and the edelbrock of the same design. Ma Mopar also makes a single plane manifold, but, "best" depends on what you want to do with your truck.

Old 06-18-2011, 11:52 PM
Buck Slayer
Professional

well im looking mostly for low to mid range power. but mostly low.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:13 AM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Buck Slayer
well im looking mostly for low to mid range power. but mostly low.
Then stick with the stock kegger.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:24 AM
Buck Slayer
Professional

so it won't benfit me any? if i went with aftermarket would i keep my low and add top end?

Old 06-19-2011, 12:35 AM
Adobedude
All Star
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Buck Slayer
so it won't benfit me any? if i went with aftermarket would i keep my low and add top end?
It's a sum of parts...What other mods do you have?

I'd spend money on the exhaust side for cheap low end. Dodge spent some time on the kegger, it's for a truck motor.

Old 06-19-2011, 12:59 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i love my airgap one of my fav mods alone with the sct tuner def woke my truck up .. passing people takes no effort at all

Old 06-19-2011, 01:01 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Im not saying that the aftermarket intakes aren't an option, but I'll agree with Adobedude.

The stock Kegger is already pretty decent at low to mid range torque. The long intake runners of the Kegger are what help in this department (which is why it's in the shape of a 'keg' to begin with).

Think: High Velocity of flow, NOT High flow.

If you want low end torque, I'd spend your money elsewhere and leave the Kegger on there. A FULL tune-up would be my first move (Cap, Rotor, Plugs, Plug wires, and timing chain). Then maybe some 1.7 RR's.

I'd also look into a better torque converter if you're serious. These stock torque converters are junk. My sister had an 05 Toyota 4runner, and you really had to push on the brakes to keep it from moving AT IDLE! I'd get in it and start it, get my foot on the brake as usual, put it in gear, and it would start moving! Quite the surprise.. Felt like it had gobs of low end torque (it was Sport, with a 4.7l v8 with 270hp, 320ft-lbs). I was impressed with it's stock torque converter for sure. It had less torque, but it sure could put it to the ground a heck of a lot better than my Ram can.

-JT

Old 06-19-2011, 01:06 AM
DodgeTheDadRamTheDaughter
Rookie

im not disappointed with the Huges Air Gap but its not like your going to get crazy power with it alone, and i don't personally feel there was any significant loss of low end power. I recently pulled my flatbed trailer loaded with my 200lb tool box and a jeep wrangler on it with some gear and guys in the truck and it moved it without any problems. The engines cam is what is going to determine where your engine can make its power but thats not to say the air flow isn't going to change the curve of the band a little bit around your rpm range. (I was mainly only wanting low to mid range power to)

Old 06-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Buck Slayer
Professional

Originally Posted by JSTMoto
Im not saying that the aftermarket intakes aren't an option, but I'll agree with Adobedude.

The stock Kegger is already pretty decent at low to mid range torque. The long intake runners of the Kegger are what help in this department (which is why it's in the shape of a 'keg' to begin with).

Think: High Velocity of flow, NOT High flow.

If you want low end torque, I'd spend your money elsewhere and leave the Kegger on there. A FULL tune-up would be my first move (Cap, Rotor, Plugs, Plug wires, and timing chain). Then maybe some 1.7 RR's.

I'd also look into a better torque converter if you're serious. These stock torque converters are junk. My sister had an 05 Toyota 4runner, and you really had to push on the brakes to keep it from moving AT IDLE! I'd get in it and start it, get my foot on the brake as usual, put it in gear, and it would start moving! Quite the surprise.. Felt like it had gobs of low end torque (it was Sport, with a 4.7l v8 with 270hp, 320ft-lbs). I was impressed with it's stock torque converter for sure. It had less torque, but it sure could put it to the ground a heck of a lot better than my Ram can.

-JT
Yea, I just did a tune up about 1k miles ago, everything but the timing chain. And the 1.7 rr are coming in the near near future. Also this summer ill be supercharging it and going with a full exhaust and long tubes. (If I can find them for our truck). I've thought about a torque converter before but what kind of stall should I be looking for and how difficult is the install?

Quick Reply: best intake manifold upgrade