2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

question about 1.7 roller rockers

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:26 PM
dodgeman2289
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default question about 1.7 roller rockers

since ive gotten mine installed when i rev the enginefull pedal it feels and sounds like the rockers are hitting my valve covers. here is a vid of it when i put on my qtp cutout anyone else have this and is it harming anything?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE6QimjBewk

Old 06-21-2011, 08:34 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

What brand of 1.7s did you get? Did you torque them to 21 ft/lbs? If they are harland sharps, did you remove the guide plates?

Old 06-21-2011, 08:42 PM
dodgeman2289
Captain

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
What brand of 1.7s did you get? Did you torque them to 21 ft/lbs? If they are harland sharps, did you remove the guide plates?

Yes they are harland sharp and everything was done they way it was directed so yes to all above. I had my mechanic of 40 yrs do them it only does it on a rev not during accerleration

Old 06-21-2011, 08:51 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how long have you ran them like that?

are you sure they are hitting the baffles? I can't hear anything in the clip..

were they soaked before install?

Old 06-21-2011, 09:19 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Originally Posted by dodgeman2289
Yes they are harland sharp and everything was done they way it was directed so yes to all above. I had my mechanic of 40 yrs do them it only does it on a rev not during accerleration
So you are saying that you personally don't know the answers, but your mechanic does, to any of the above questions.

No disrespect, but if you don't know the answer, say so. Don't use your mechanic of 40 years as a reason it's right. You asked the forum about a problem that shouldn't be happening if it was done right, and I am trying to help you. I have installed that exact set of rockers, and am running them right now. I have had no problems with the stock valve covers when I ran them.

The stock rocker arm does use a guide plate, however the harland sharps were specifically designed to run without guide plates. There were no instructions with my set of harland sharps, just a package that came with parts. If your mechanic didn't know to remove the guide plates and reinstalled them, then you are running them with extra space that shouldn't be there, and at higher revs, your lifters dont have enough preload to keep the pushrod seated, so they are banging around. This can grenade your valve train pretty quickly, so unless you pull the valve cover and verify those guide plates are not there, I'd not drive it.

It's also possible that your stock valve springs are worn out to the point that you are floating the valves at high revs. It's much easier to expose the wear on parts when the engine has no load on it and revs quickly in park and neutral.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 06-21-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:31 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend

Originally Posted by drewactual
how long have you ran them like that?

are you sure they are hitting the baffles? I can't hear anything in the clip..

were they soaked before install?
Drew,

I know what you are thinking, but that should only cause an issue on the initial startup and only for a couple seconds as the oil gets pushed through the pushrod, there is plenty of bearing grease packed in those needle bearings from the manufacturer to keep the rockers from burning up, and a tiny noise from the cups wouldn't be noticable over that cutout for the brief instance they were dry.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 06-22-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 PM
dodgeman2289
Captain

He did not install them with the guidplates. My truck runs and drives fine. Only thing is a rev that i can hear and feel in the pedal that it feels like it hits. During accerleration its perfect. Even at wot i have no problems. I just was wondering if Yone else has this at rev its only when i hit it to the floor hard rev any other time nothing

Old 06-22-2011, 02:53 AM
93grandzj
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after your reply with follow up answers. sounds like aim got it right on the floating. it could be that your springs are do to be replaced.

Old 06-22-2011, 11:58 AM
tweeker909
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just did a set a HS. The HS mounts are round and the oem GPlate'S are squared. Round peg in a square hole. Pull your Vcovers and retorque to 25ft lbs with little blue loctite and even though they say there bolt on and go i followed the firing order. Suspect a rocker or two have loosened up on ya.

Old 06-22-2011, 12:15 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aim is right as rain.. the H&S Non adjustable 1.7 RR's are pedestal mount.. there should be no guide plates installed whatsoever.. they simply bolt to the heads.. if there are guides involved, there is going to be an issue..

Quick Reply: question about 1.7 roller rockers