2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Overhead console mini trip and compass!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 10:06 PM
will4557
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overhead console mini trip and compass!!!!

Day before yesterday I was driving home and my mini trip in the overhead console started going on and off, then it just went off and stayed off. Is there anything I could check that might have made it do that or am I gonna have to just replace it? Where is the best place to buy them and how much do they usually cost? The only thing that I have done is put a power brake controller in the truck so I dont think I messed any wiring up seeing how I just bought the dodge plug in connector. Thanks in advance for any input!!

Old 06-22-2011, 03:16 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure on how to test them myself, I'd wait for others here to reply. However, the best place to get another if you need to would be the salvage yard.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:24 PM
ShelbyGT550
Professional

Here you go:

SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TEST
A self-diagnostic test is used to determine that the compass mini-trip computer module is operating properly electrically. Initiate the self-diagnostic test as follows:
(1) With the ignition switch in the Off position, simultaneously depress and hold the Step button and the U.S./Metric button.
(2) Turn the ignition switch to the On position.
(3) Continue to hold both buttons depressed until the compass mini-trip computer module enters the display segment test. In this test, all of the Vacuum Fluorescent Display (VFD) segments are lighted while the compass mini-trip computer module per- forms the following checks:
• Microprocessor RAM read/write test • Non-volatile memory read/write test • Microprocessor ROM verification test • CCD communications test.
(4) Following completion of these tests, the com- pass mini-trip computer will display one of three messages: “PASS,” “FAIL,” or “CCd.” Respond to the respective test results as follows:
• If the “PASS” message is displayed, but compass mini-trip computer operation is still improper, the use of a DRB scan tool and the proper Diagnostic Procedures manual are required for further diagno- sis.
• If the “FAIL” message is displayed, the compass mini-trip computer module is faulty and must be replaced.
• If the “CCd” message is displayed, the use of a DRB�� scan tool and the proper Diagnostic Proce- dures manual are required for further diagnosis.
• If any VFD segment should fail to light during the display segment test, the compass mini-trip com- puter module is faulty and must be replaced.
(5) If all tests are passed, or if the ignition switch is turned to the Off position, the compass mini-trip computer module will automatically return to normal operation.

Old 06-22-2011, 03:24 PM
Annihilator_X9
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are your interior lights/power mirrors still working?

Old 06-22-2011, 08:07 PM
will4557
Veteran

I havnt tried the power mirrors but all the interior lights work. The map lights on the console and the one in the middle of the headliner are all working. All the gauge cluster lights work. I have checked all my fuses and they are all good. The display went out on the mini trip and it doesnt do anything. It faded on and off several times and then just went out and stayed out. The Anti theft light at the front of the module works like it is supposed to. I think the display just burned out or something. I will do the test but I dont think it will work because it wont even light up at all. While it was fading in and out you could read it all and it all just went out at once. Thanks for the replies and I will do the test to try it when it stops raining. I do remember seeing it read Ccd a couple of times while driving down the road before.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:56 PM
ShelbyGT550
Professional

If the display is dead, I would agree that its time for a new one as its dead.

Old 07-12-2015, 03:23 PM
Beth_anne71
Default Dead mini trip and compass

My caravan has the same problem So, that's it? If it goes black it is dead? No fuse to revive it? It has to be replaced? (Owner '05 Caravan)

Old 07-12-2015, 05:26 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Beth_anne71
My caravan has the same problem So, that's it? If it goes black it is dead? No fuse to revive it? It has to be replaced? (Owner '05 Caravan)
You would be better off posting in the Caravan section..... instead of resurrecting a four year old thread.

Old 07-12-2015, 06:12 PM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

If the old threads could be closed(like they should be after no activity for a while) this wouldn't keep happening.

Old 07-13-2015, 11:56 AM
schmidtp
Veteran

Most likely the result of a Google search on the topic. Also doesn't seem like many look at the date of the original post...

Quick Reply: Overhead console mini trip and compass!!!!