2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

o2 Simulators????

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 12:23 AM
KBJYDBAD38
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default o2 Simulators????

Just wondering who has used them, what ones, and did they work, or any other suggestion, and where to get them, i hate my cat and want true duals, Thanks guys

Old 06-26-2011, 01:56 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Do not run a simulator on the Pre-Cat O2 sensor. The readings from this sensor are actually pretty important to how your truck runs.

The Post-Cat O2 sensor merely just checks to make sure the Cat is working or not, so it's readings aren't nearly as important. Simulators or spark plug non-foulers are typically used as "fixes" for the CEL that will most likely appear after removing the Cat.

You will need to run an X-pipe (or small H pipe) in between the two banks. Mount your Pre-Cat O2 sensor in the middle of this crossover piece. Yes, this is important.

Do some searches, this is covered pretty regularly actually. Good Luck!

-JT

Old 06-26-2011, 09:59 AM
KBJYDBAD38

Yeah but with no cat it wont read a difference so the engine light will come on since i have emissions test

Old 06-26-2011, 10:04 AM
sk8erdude
Veteran

if you have emissions tests then you cant remove your cat. youll fail the test...

Old 06-27-2011, 06:15 PM
KBJYDBAD38

I know that, thats why i am asking about the o2 simulators

Old 06-27-2011, 06:34 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

You have to run the precat o2 sensor simple as that.(if you want the engine to run right) The sims are for the post cat sensor. And are a not worth the cash when you can do this. https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...converter.html

Old 06-27-2011, 07:21 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Zman's nailed it.. as usual.. fwiw, though, I'll add this:

though it doesn't make a lick of sense, and has no basis in logic, I've heard a total of four stories in the last 12 months about using electronic simulators and having a jacked up transmission shortly there after.. I've tried to wrap my brain around it and I can't, but right here on this forum you can find them if you care to search..

One- dude's whacked..
two- two dudes are whacked..
three- two dudes are whacked, and one is mistaken..
four- there may be something to it..
five- well, we kinda need you to be the fifth for experimental purposes if you don't mind.

I dunno WHAT was whacked in their trannies, but my best guess at guessing is there was some funky pulses on the same harness that holds the 8 pin, and that feeds back to the PCM.. I'm admittedly reaching though..

Old 06-28-2011, 01:09 AM
JSTMoto
Veteran

Originally Posted by KBJYDBAD38
I know that, thats why i am asking about the o2 simulators

If you have emissions testing in your area, you can NOT remove your cat (or if you do, it needs to be replaced). You will for sure fail the sniffer test. They don't care if your PCM thinks the Cat is working...

If their equipment that is plugged into your exhaust detects that the exhaust gas levels are out of spec, you will be failed. NO O2 simulator will protect you of that.

I guess it all depends on how strict your emissions tests are.

-JT

Old 06-28-2011, 01:36 AM
a-master
Veteran

Originally Posted by JSTMoto
If you have emissions testing in your area, you can NOT remove your cat (or if you do, it needs to be replaced). You will for sure fail the sniffer test. They don't care if your PCM thinks the Cat is working...

If their equipment that is plugged into your exhaust detects that the exhaust gas levels are out of spec, you will be failed. NO O2 simulator will protect you of that.

I guess it all depends on how strict your emissions tests are.

-JT
In MD, all they did on my truck was plug it into the computer and look underneath to see if i had a cat.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:51 PM
dkleich@nmccat
Default running lean

I have the 5.9 magnum and removed the cat and put true duals back into a dual in dual out muffler with an x pipe built into the muffler. The o2 sensors are reading its rich and leaning the fuel out would an o2 simulator fix the problem? and which one should i replace upstream or downstream?

Quick Reply: o2 Simulators????