2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

bad sound coming from front mainly when turning right

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 09:27 PM
mgaither0
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default bad sound coming from front mainly when turning right

Out of no where I was driving down the driveway and heard a vibration type sound coming from up front. It was coming and going. I got to the end of my strret and made a right turn and the best way I can describe it is the sound u would get from a fan when the shroud is pushed it and the fins of the fan are rubbing it. So when turning rite it makes this type of noise. I know its not a good explaniation but all I can figure out rite now. I later noticed if I'm driving straight and jerk the wheel to the right it does it for a split second. Then as I continued to the gym it startwd doing it mainly to the right and now a little to the left. Any ideas? I've never had a vehicle do something like this. Steering linkage maybe??? Any help would be awesome. Thanks!

Old 06-27-2011, 09:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

U-joint or wheel bearing.

Old 06-27-2011, 09:33 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

How do I determine any suggestions?

Old 06-27-2011, 10:35 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Jack it up, and inspect everything. Shake the wheel, turn things, turn the wheels a bit each way, and spin things again. Generally, bad u-joints are patently obvious, but, not always. If you have ANY slop in your wheel bearings, they are bad, and need to be replaced.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:54 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

alright cool thanks

Old 06-27-2011, 11:20 PM
mgaither0
Veteran

does the ram have a dust shield behind the brakes?

Old 06-27-2011, 11:23 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

From the factory they do. They don't last long in the rust belt though. Do they use salt on your roads? Don't expect to find much left if they do.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:07 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

Here in MD they not only use salt they have this thing they like to call "pre salting or pre treating the roads prior to snow" or as i call it 3 inches of snow 6 inches of salt. They dumb salt like crazy here. I bought the Ram in NJ and it spent its time in NJ and NY so it was in lots of snow and a ton of salt. Thats also why it has rust over the wheel well and passanger side door a little.

Old 06-28-2011, 12:11 AM
mgaither0
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
From the factory they do. They don't last long in the rust belt though. Do they use salt on your roads? Don't expect to find much left if they do.

I have a buddy who has worked on muscle cars and done it all since he was probably 5 years old. You tell him a problem and he can give you the answer. This dude also went to Wayotec and worked at a body shop for a couple years. Hes not an ASE cert mechanic but let me tell you he knows 100,000,000 times what a former friend of mine who is an ASE mechanic yet couldnt install a header on a jeep wrangler without ****ing it up does. He said as soon as i told him "check the dust shield, I bet it is that, I saw that on rachels car and I had it on my truck". I figured I'd make sure the ram has one. What would suddenly bend it if that is the problem or mess it up?

Old 06-28-2011, 12:22 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

it may have just rusted to the point where it can't hold itself in place any more. Or, a rock may have bounced up and hit it. Or, maybe the raccoons in the neighborhood decided to play a practical joke. Ya just never know.

Quick Reply: bad sound coming from front mainly when turning right