2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What is this seal? Why is it leaking? (Pics inside)

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 07:27 PM
talthyren
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this seal? Why is it leaking? (Pics inside)

Dropped my tranny pan and changed my fluid, put in a new filter last week. Did not flush it.

While I was under I noticed this seal was looking pretty bashed up, and was missing some bolts... There was no definite leak though, a bit of sweating, but nothing serious.

I haven't driven the truck in 3 days, today I went out and noticed a very small puddle under the truck, really small, as this truck has never had any drips I got under and looked and saw this:

What is this seal? Why is it leaking? (Pics inside)-twpwl.jpg

What is this seal? Why is it leaking? (Pics inside)-tyuut.jpg

What is this seal? Why is it leaking? (Pics inside)-8jrcp.jpg

What is this seal? Why is it leaking? (Pics inside)-akpdz.jpg

What exactly is this seal called?

Any idea what size bolts it takes? Im assuming bolting it back up will stop the leak?

Why would it be leaking now, a week after I did my pan drop? Did sitting for 3 days somehow cause the leak?

Thanks for any input.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:30 PM
TheycallmeLaramie
Veteran

Forgot what its called, search for the service manual but from what i was told by my transmission guy is that its just a cover, and if your leaking its the seal inside that cover that is going bad

(mine leaked too, at first i put some sealant around it until i figured out what it was then i fixed the seals :P)

Just what i know try to confirm in the service manual

Old 06-28-2011, 07:31 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that "seal" is the transmission dust pan. its the input shaft seal thats leaking. time to pull the tranny, and torque converter, and have some fun replacing that seal!

Old 06-28-2011, 07:35 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That plate is called the inspection plate. It could be your input shaft seal, oil pump gasket or torque converter leaking. Time to pull the tranny.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:40 PM
talthyren
Veteran

The leak is seriously slow, the puddle was maybe the size of...

well..do this with your hand: as big as that circle over 3 days of sitting...

Tranny fluid on dipstick is still at full.

How urgent is it that I get this fixed? kind of strapped for cash at the moment and Im not comfortable pulling a tranny...

What can I expect to pay a mechanic to look at this..?

Old 06-28-2011, 07:43 PM
redneck_ram
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by J415
That plate is called the inspection plate. It could be your input shaft seal, oil pump gasket or torque converter leaking. Time to pull the tranny.
its most definately something in the trans. in the first pic it clearly shows the fluid leaking is red....

Old 06-28-2011, 07:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,392 Likes on 3,132 Posts

Look at it? Probably not a lot.... Fix it? Well, R&R trans on a 4x4 is generally at LEAST six hours worth of labor. All to replace a less than 10 dollar part.

Dropping the trans isn't that bad. Its just HEAVY. Taking the t-case off first will lighten the load, but, I would still want some flavor of floor jack to take the weight. (I gave up bench pressing transmissions quite some time ago.....)

Old 06-28-2011, 07:52 PM
talthyren
Veteran

How crucial is it that it get fixed pronto? My wallet has nothing but lint in it at the moment.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:53 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck_ram
its most definately something in the trans. in the first pic it clearly shows the fluid leaking is red....
I agree with you. Everything I stated is part of the trans. The oil pump is a disk shaped object that sits at the front of the tranny and can cause that leak. So can the TC and the input shaft seal.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,392 Likes on 3,132 Posts

Originally Posted by talthyren
How crucial is it that it get fixed pronto? My wallet has nothing but lint in it at the moment.
The trick is to fix it before it becomes a serious problem. If it really decides to let loose, you can dump ALL of your fluid in a hot minute, and seriously screw up the trans. Fix it now, and it is 'cheap', wait to long, and you get to rebuild the trans....... if you can do it yourself, that is certainly the least expensive way to go. If ya gotta pay someone else to do it....... well, that is going leave you and your wallet NOT on speaking terms for a bit.

Quick Reply: What is this seal? Why is it leaking? (Pics inside)