2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Any other ideas what's causing my truck to stall? HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 03:14 PM
Aerogauge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any other ideas what's causing my truck to stall? HELP!

1996 Dodge Ram 1500 2x4, 318 5.2L V8. Stalls SOMETIMES when I stop, it's intermittent. I have put new: Battery, Distributor cap and rotor, IAC, thermostat, spark plugs. It still stalls sometimes when I stop. please someone give me some other ideas what is wrong.

Old 07-03-2011, 03:17 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Remove the throttle body, remove the IAC motor from the throttle body, clean all the crap out of the air passages. (leave the battery disconnected while you do that.) Put it back together, and let it relearn the idle. (sometimes takes a couple minutes.)

Old 07-03-2011, 05:18 PM
tweav88
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Remove the throttle body, remove the IAC motor from the throttle body, clean all the crap out of the air passages. (leave the battery disconnected while you do that.) Put it back together, and let it relearn the idle. (sometimes takes a couple minutes.)
Whats the IAC motor? my truck seems like its going to stall sometimes, when i let off the gas at slow speeds it goes down to like 400 rpms

Old 07-03-2011, 05:38 PM
Aerogauge
Professional

Originally Posted by tweav88
Whats the IAC motor? my truck seems like its going to stall sometimes, when i let off the gas at slow speeds it goes down to like 400 rpms
The Idle Air Control motor, its right on the back of the throttle body

Old 07-03-2011, 06:31 PM
tweav88
Professional

Originally Posted by Aerogauge
The Idle Air Control motor, its right on the back of the throttle body

Ohh okay, thanks

Old 07-03-2011, 11:03 PM
fishtownmike

Hello. I had a similar problem recently and diagnosed it to be the Idle air control motor. Went ahead and cleaned the throttle body and the motor to no luck. I still occasionally had the same problem. Never had and diagnostic errors though I had this issue for over a year. Then leaving work one night had trouble starting truck. Stalled three times before it started. This time it threw and error. Just happened to have my code reader under the seat. It was an intermittent cam shaft sensor error. I cleared it and on the way home after exiting the highway it started to sputter then threw another error. I changed the cam shaft sensor and also did the crankshaft sensor just for the hell of it and the truck is running great. I believe your model has the cam shaft sensor but I may be wrong. Just an idea if the trottle body cleaning doesn't work for you....Mike

Quick Reply: Any other ideas what's causing my truck to stall? HELP!