2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Worked on the truck this holiday weekend..

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Kingsnap
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Worked on the truck this holiday weekend..

My father in law and my self took on the plenum job using Hugh plate fix. Also took care of the water pump (black metal pipe was rusted and leaking). I also replaced the thermostat with the one Hughes recommends it had a lower temp from stock.

Started having death wobbles about a month ago BAD UNCONTROLABLE but I could recreate it on one section of highway. Found out the fix was easy for us, it was my skyjacker steering stabilizer. To get it to come back all I had to do was the following..

Set cruise to 70mph
Hit one section of the frost strips on a bridge.

This would cause my drivers side tire to drop first then the passenger side. It would begin to shake so bad that any dirt on the floor would end up sifting up against each door. Anything above the visors fallen. I would have to pull over into the break down lane. Then slow down to 30mph from 70mph before it would stop. Then off I would go. Replaced with a KYB and its flawless just hit that section of bridge with out issue about a hour ago.

Old steering stabilizer had pressure one way then dead spots of pressure the other way. Also has signs of leaking which before I though was the water pump leaking on it....

With this said and done this truck is running better then when I bought it..

Previous owner complained of poor gas mileage and oil usage with out any leaks in the driveway.

Just want to thank all the people who took the time to document the plenum job with pics and videos. This was an unbelievable necessity to have when doing the job.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:32 PM
Kingsnap
Rookie

So searching through the death flash posts... Can I just go to a junk yard and get a ecu out of a automatic 360 from something older then my 2001? Seams like a easy fix but I am sure there is a reason I cannot find a yes or no to this question.

Old 07-05-2011, 09:36 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Any you find in the yards will likely have the death flash as well. The only real fix for it is to get a tuner. Hemifever is pretty much regarded as "The Best" around here...... He has tuners for 265. comes with three tunes, and even the lowest is MUCH better than what you have now. Also eliminates/reduces torque management. You will like it.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:29 AM
NYJohn

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Any you find in the yards will likely have the death flash as well. The only real fix for it is to get a tuner. Hemifever is pretty much regarded as "The Best" around here...... He has tuners for 265. comes with three tunes, and even the lowest is MUCH better than what you have now. Also eliminates/reduces torque management. You will like it.
Could you feel the difference after you put it on your truck ? I see he has two tuners which one did you get ? Whats the difference between the two tuners besides price ? I read about hemifever is great and would like your experience before we get one .

Last edited by NYJohn; 07-06-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:23 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

I am still running stock programming....... Don't have the money for a tuner yet. It IS part of the plan though.

To make sure you get the right one, give him a call. Tell him what you got, and he will sell you what you need.

Old 07-06-2011, 04:48 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The $265 is canned tunes, with a tuner. Thats the one your gonna want. You can get one with custom tunes and its another $100 bucks more, but unless you have new heads or a cam its not needed and a waste of money.

Yes the SCT makes a difference.
1. If you have the death flash it gets rid of it
2. Removes torque management
3. OD is moved from 45ish to 55ish
4. Most people see increase in mileage if they can keep there foot out of it
5. Adds a good bit of throttle response and is real noticeable in passing
6. A code reader for your truck, also clears codes

I have on and definantely think it was worth the money

Old 07-28-2011, 02:28 PM
Kingsnap
Rookie

Can someone link me the 265 dollar tuner it seems I can only find the 300-500 dollar ones. I want to read about it and see a pic if possible.

Old 07-28-2011, 02:49 PM
Kingsnap
Rookie

Quick Reply: Worked on the truck this holiday weekend..